Monday, September 01, 2008

Making the most

Now that I can count the days left on two hands before baby comes, I think even more often about appreciating these pre-baby days with Scotty- doing what we like to do, when we like to do it. This weekend was full of those moments. Friday night we had a huge bonfire/birthday party at our land for our friend Tim. About 20 people came and we roasted sausages, hotdogs, and marshmallows over the fire, talked, laughed, juggled hot coals (Scotty and Tim started it), and enjoyed the true gift from the Lord that this property is for us. About 10:30 I hit a wall and announced to Scotty I must return to the house before I fell over from sleepiness... Saturday, I was able to spend most of the morning cooking dinner and dessert for some friends that were coming over in the evening. I've also constructed the reputation in our small group for making "yummy things" and so I made one of our favorite cake recipes- oatmeal with coconut icing. Small group, even though a huge part of our ministry, is also one of those special times I know will change when the baby comes along. I won't be able to sit still and uninterrupted for 2 hours to chat, listen, and share what the Lord is teaching me. Hopefully I won't have to miss many of these meetings and I always pray that the baby will conveniently take a nap during this time, but we'll see what reality has in store. I love to hear things like "coming to this group challenges me in my own personal walk with the Lord" or "I like to hear the perspectives and experiences of other believers because it teaches me so much and makes me want to grow more"- it is a gift that these people really are learning from the Word and from each other. They are also like aunts and uncles for our unborn baby. One family that we are particularly close to called us several times when the moon completed its cycle, sure that meant that I must have gone into labor. When they couldn't get a hold of us (probably because we were asleep), their 10 and 12 year old sons pleaded that they all go to the hospital together, convinced I was there. I love that people are so excited about our little girl! And Saturday night, we had the chance to have a sweet couple over for dinner who are super excited about doing medicine on the mission field, and a turn of events had us invite them last-minute to spend the night. That would not have been as stress-free with an infant around! Sunday afternoon was all-out relax. I took a nap, took a walk with Scotty, and made a come-back win in Backgammon. I have so appreciated these last few years, just me and him. As much as I think about how a baby will change our lives and our marriage- I am extremely grateful that the Lord has created her and can't wait to start this next phase of life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Scotty- I've enjoyed reading your blog. It seems like just yesterday we were with you all but really it was so long ago. This has been a busy summer but a good one. Can't believe that it's already September. Praying for you both now and for the baby. Hoping to get to see you all again this year.

Unknown said...

We are almost as eager and excited as you are! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the fun-packed weekend. You are in our prayers, we're also praying for your mom and her trip. I have found that the Lord has blessed me in allowing me to sit in on most of Andrew's sermons while Julienne sleeps contentedly in her sling. Perhaps you'll still have some of those precious small group times...

Atticus! said...

So Lisa, I can't find your email address, but I wanted to thank you for the congratulations on our newest baby coming (-: I read your blog a few times a week and am eagerly anticipating your baby girl's debut! I wanted to say that concerning this blog entry, specifically, that Brad and I have found that having babies right away (Atticus was born 9 months and 4 days after our wedding -- crazy people!), does restrict some of the conversations and trips and other recreational things we see other couples enjoying, BUT, that said, it also makes the time we have together sweeter and more valued. I mean, yes, sometimes we're so exhausted from our parenting that we just kind of sit on the couch cross-eyed and drooling for the 15 minutes we have to spend together before falling asleep. But then sometimes we get an evening together or we spend an hour talking about politics or reading each other sections out of the books we're reading. Or we're blessedly trapped in a car on a trip and get to let a conversation leisurely stop and start. Things most couples take for granted, we consider a surprise gift. So I think kids make being a couple even better. (And this isn't even considering the whole bonding of "being in the trenches" together aspect (-: -- which catapaults it even higher.) So there you go -- be excited for that new part of your relationship your about to launch into, too. Huzzah!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, when is my baby coming out! I want to meet her RIGHT NOW! :) I hope you feel at least half-way fabulous, and please call! Love you.