Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Scoop


Well, I'm still in the hospital, but out of bed for the first time- woohoo! Recovery from a C-section is a terrible thing to go through when you desperately want to take care of your baby, or even just shift positions. I'm sure all you mommies that have had the section can relate. Anyway...I'll try to give you all the dirty details before Natalie needs to be fed again.


I actually woke up at 6 on the dot the morning I was supposed to be induced, with contraction like pain (I thought I had just eaten something bad the day before). I starting timing the pain, and it was about every 6 minutes for around 40 seconds...whoa! Could this be labor? Well, by the time we arrived to the hospital about 8 and the doctor checked me, he sadly told me there was still no progression. Apparently, Natalie was trying to push out, but was still stuck behind some bone. He went ahead with a small amount of Pitocin and from about the second the drop entered my blood stream, there an intense pain as I could have never imagined, with pretty much no let up- no time to take a breath and prepare for the next. I was going to try to do things the "natural" way, but found that I could not bear the pain I was experiencing. Unfortunately, the doctor had gone back to his office with promises to call every hour. We had a doctor check me and then call my doctor, because only he could approve an epidural. When the doctor here checked me, I was already at 8 cm (from 0)- after about an hour. My doctor flew back, took me to the birthing room, popped in the epidural, and I was at 10 before I had a chance to really know what was going on. Then it was time to push! OH, beautiful epidurals. I could have pushed all day and was determined I was going to make that baby come out the normal way. Unfortunately, as much as we pushed and pulled and prodded, her head was stuck against that bone and too high for forcepts to be safe. There were minor signs of distress, although her heart beat stayed strong, praise God. So, it was off for an emergency C-section and then the amazing sound of our baby crying herself into the world-10:45am. I saw her on the table as they cleaned her up, with nice purple feet paddles very much resembling her dad's. She was big and perfect- 7lbs. 11oz., 201/2in. Did that really come out of me? We don't think she looks like either of us, but every morning when they bring her back from the nursery, I pick up on another feature that could be one of ours. She has dark grey eyes and a light fluffing of blondish brown hair. She's awesome. She's been very alert during the day, wanting to nurse almost incesantly, and conks out all night. Scotty has been a rock-star diaper changer and my mom is doing great with trying to calm her when she's upset. She makes cute little squeek noises sometimes when she's startled in her sleep. We've had tons of visitors, bringing lots of yummy things I'm pretty sure my digestive track isn't ready for (lucky Scotty and Mom) and flowers. I'll post some pics and then I need to take a break. I'll be updated more frequently, hopefully, now that I'm feeling a bit better.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations again, you guys. She looks really beautiful and alert. Can't wait to see her in the not-too-distant future.

Anonymous said...

She is soo cute. Continuing to pray for you as you recover and begin the road of parenting.

-Julie T.

Ruth said...

Natalie is amazingly beautiful! What a blessing from God! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Hurray! Lisa, we are SO excited. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to update your blog. I am checking it several times a day as I pray for you and think of you and get so excited with and for you. We are praying for a quick recovery for you (the football hold, though awkward, is good for C-section moms). Sounds like you made the right decisions regarding your birth. We are thankful for doctors and modern medicine to help us and our babies during tough labors! Love and prayers, Laura

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys. We're stoked for you and praying too. I didn't see you name her in the post but I see "Natalie" in one of the comments. Hope this season is a wonderful one.

Unknown said...

Yay, Lisa! She's such a pretty baby! You guys did a great job :)

I have the bone thing too...so sorry you actually had to go through painful labor before they figured that out. I'm sure you're exhausted. I'll be praying for your recovery time and am rejoicing with you all! And thanks for actually updating everyone...you're a trooper!

nicole said...

She's just beautiful! I know recovery seems like a far distance away, but trust me, it's gets easier as each day passes!! God's grace is sufficient even for this! (I know, I've had 2 C-sections :-) ) We love you guys and can't wait to meet Natalie!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lisa, I guess I never mentioned that Scotty was pretty much a constant nurser. I learned how to do a lot of housework one-handed as well as care for Amanda who wasn't yet walking when Scotty was born.

amysue said...

Congratulations Misers! God bless you with rest, helpful hands, and a sometimes sleeping baby. Hope you are strong soon Lisa. Boliva Baby:)

Michael said...

We prayed for you tonight at small group, and we look forward meeting her when you guys come in town. Thrilled and happy for you.

undergroundcrowds said...

she's beautiful, so happy for you!