Monday, November 01, 2010

Melancholy doctors

So, we had another good report from Dr. Salazar this morning about Zion...he seems to be tolerating the milk so far. When we went in to the hospital, everyone looked a bit gloomy and a doctor came shortly after we arrived to do an ultrasound of the heart. Then my doctor came to check out my incision and when I came back, the heart doctor told me that things looked good but that they would need to continue the heart medication for a bit longer until his heart got stronger. Good news. But, he reminded me again of what an enormous amount of hard things our little guy has endured and how strong he is. But, he said it all with a sad face and a shake of the head, like, "too bad these things happen". Then Dr. Salazar confirmed the heart looks good and that he is responding well to the milk, but they'll take it slow. He said some other tests look good too. All good news. But, then after showing me an x-ray, he reminded me that we need to stay strong and as long as he has good brain function, they'll fight for him till the end. These are things he used to say when everything was really going rough for Zion...why is he saying this now?? Scotty and I felt the heaviness in the room, and we couldn't figure out what they weren't telling us. I suppose it is just a good reminder that even though things have been going well the last couple of days, our son is still in a critical condition and we need to realize that. Our poor little guy is super swollen. The doctors says it's a lack of protein that he will get from my milk and it should take care of itself as he gets more and more milk. Zion and I had a good little visit while I read Psalms from Scotty's IPOD. A couple of my favorites: "Those who trust in the Lord are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever. So the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." Psalm 125:1-2 Also, "I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning." Psalm130: 5-6

2 comments:

the johnson crew said...

thank you for the update. we are praying for you lisa and your family, and especially little Zion.

Andean Echoes said...

We will keep praying for Zion to get stronger as well as are praying for you all during this difficult time.