Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The aftermath

I've been given permission by many friends to continue to post about our journey of grief. In some ways, I feel that it might be getting old to hear about what we are going through but I can't say I've moved on yet and there really is nothing else going on in my life than working on getting through this. And maybe that's all I want to say in this blog: I am truly surprised by the new challenges that each day brings. I thought that once the intense grief of losing Zion was over, things would start looking up from there. But, I'm realizing that some days, the intense grief comes back. And some days, it's not there- but the reality of his absence and how that affects each day and what I'm doing and what I would have been doing and how he would have played a part in all that- is just as hard. There are so many new emotions I have never experienced and even questions of faith that arise in my mind and heart that I'm not even sure where to start processing or how to put it into words for other people- or for myself. I know that I am struggling more now than I did when Zion was living to really believe and hold tight to the promises that the Lord has given me. There was hope in those promises when he was hanging on, but now that he is gone, that hope is wavering (not in truth, but in my heart). Before I went into the hospital, I had started reading through the Psalms and they were powerful in a new way in my life. When I was on bed rest, they brought comfort and hope and joy. When Zion was in the NICU, I would often read them to him and tell him of His awesome, loving Lord. I finished the book a few days before he died and since then have not found a new place to start reading in the Word. A friend encouraged me to go back to the Psalms and really study the many, many times the faithfulness and the steadfast love of the Lord is mentioned. It is hard to do that because that will remind me so much of his last days and, if I'm honest with myself, because I feel like the hope they gave me that all will be alright did not play itself out. All was not all right. All is not all right. And yet, I know that way of thinking comes from a limited, finite perspective. In the infinite wisdom of the Lord, He chose a way that must be perfect, because we know He is perfect. And so I must believe that this was all right for Zion- this was the best for Him and for me. This is loving. Oh, how I want to feel the love in this decision and not just accept it as a fact...

14 comments:

Luke said...

I appreciate your deep and open honesty in describing your grieving process. I hesitate to say it, but from the outside looking in, it's beautiful. It's a picture of honesty that the average person rarely gets a window into. I guess, for me, it's a practical lesson of seeing what struggling with God (even wrestling with Him) looks like when the storm comes. Thank you for letting us all in.

Donna said...

Lisa,
The depth of your grief reveals the depth of your love. I cry every time I read your posts because I feel the intense love that you have for Zion.It reminds me of how much you are engaging in the fellowship of Christ's sufferings.
I know Satan will often try to take these tragedies that are brought about by the curse and use them to try to weaken our faith. I am praying for you daily that your faith will remain strong. Hold on tight to the hope that we have in Christ of a new heaven and a new earth where there will be no more sorrows, no more tears, no more pain...
Please keep writing. It helps me to know how to pray. I love you and will continue to carry your burdens in prayer...

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for sharing all of this. I think of you so often and pray even though I do not know you. Luke's comment rings with my thoughts...you are showing me what faith looks like when "the storm comes" and it is faith-defining because you still have Hope even though it may not feel like it...it's still there in your words that are coming from your heart because of Him who is not going to let go of you.
a sister in Christ,
Heather

Ra said...

I check your blog daily, Lisa, to see if you've updated. Please do continue to share what's going on so we can be there with you and know how to pray for you. Timara (aka Ra Ar)

Ruth Bauman said...

Keep writing, Lisa. It's a psalm in itself.
Lots of people are reading....
Ruth (GO Team at BBC)

Ruth Bauman said...

Keep writing, Lisa. It's a psalm in itself.
Lots of people are reading....
Ruth (GO Team at BBC)

Atticus! said...

keep writing, Lisa, please. I am sitting here crying with you...

titanium said...

Oh Lisa! our hearts break for you and we pray for you.

I have tried reading Psalms backwards- I found that I would get bogged down in the familiar by always attempting it from the front, but reading it backwards was interesting, because you see the rejoicing psalms, and then the next chapter you read is the "oh Lord, HELP!" Psalm.

Maybe read a book in reverse order to help you get into it?

titanium said...

Oh Lisa! our hearts break for you and we pray for you.

I have tried reading Psalms backwards- I found that I would get bogged down in the familiar by always attempting it from the front, but reading it backwards was interesting, because you see the rejoicing psalms, and then the next chapter you read is the "oh Lord, HELP!" Psalm.

Maybe read a book in reverse order to help you get into it?

Dirk Helmling said...

Hi guys, you don't know me. Kari and Eric Alvarez mentioned your blog to me after they read mine.
In any case, there are no appropriate words in the Enlish language for me to use right now. So, forgive my fumbling.
You mentioned you are wondering what to read next. Can I make a suggesting? John Piper has a book called Spectacular Sins. The first 3 chapters deal in depth with some of the things you must be wrestling with. I would glad to send a copy of it your way if you'd like.
I'm confident it will bring a fresh, new perspective and a deeper sense of peace and security as you walk through this season.
Malachi 1.11 is coming to mind. God is working (and using your family) to make His name great among the nations.
Dirk Helmling
www.2911.org
www.dirkydirk.blogspot.com

mims said...

Your blogs are a blessing and so are many of the comments left by those who are reading what you write. It is a tangible way the family of God can communicate about thoughts and feelings and faith. It is enriching. We, all who love you dearly, are not expecting you to "get over it" ... surely God does not allow such experiences into our lives for us to then get over them. We may not see all the ways in which He will use this for His purposes but we know, quite fiercely KNOW that He will.

Dian said...

Scotty and Lisa,

Zion was given the perfect parents and you served him well. It is good to cry and mourn and share your love for Zion. His life has brought joy to many and caused many to cling tighter to our God whose ways are mysterious.

I thank you for sharing Zion with us. I cry for his short life and the pain that remains in your hearts; we share in your struggle as a community of believers.

May the Peace of Christ envelope you,
Dian

Rachel said...

praying for you as i write this, dear friends and for the journey of grief that is still fresh and new, and for the truth of the promises to shine through your pain!
much love

Kelley said...

Lisa,
May I suggest the book of Job? Job is about a father who lost all his children and then had to suffer not knowing why and really insensitive friends. In the end, God answers Job in an unexpected way that brings peace.

I am praying for you even though I do not know you.

Your sister-in-Christ