Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mourning

I almost feel too devoid of emotion at the moment to write this post and yet, writing is part of how I process, so maybe it's a good time. Maybe I'll start by telling you exactly how everything played out yesterday. Interestingly, the night before, Scotty had asked me if I still feared that Zion could die and I told him that I felt like he was through the worst of what he would probably experience and that now I was just trying to take each daily trial as it came. We also read a chapter from "The Praying Life", by Paul Miller, that talked about the way God weaves all things in our lives into part of His story. Sometimes, that story doesn't play out like we hoped it would, but it is so important to continue to look for God in the story and the different ways He redeems the story and brings it all together for a greater purpose. Little did we know how much we would be thinking about those ideas the next day. I heard Scotty's phone ringing about 6:30 Tuesday morning and immediately thought it might be a doctor calling- since people don't usually tend to call that early. I had a gut feeling something was not right when I couldn't hear Scotty talking- he had shut himself in the kitchen. When I went in, he said "this isn't good" and explained that Zion's organs were starting to shut down and we needed to go up as soon as we could. I asked if they thought he might die and he said it sounded like it. A wave of despair hit and after a minute of crying and telling Scotty that he can't die, we both went into action mode and somehow pulled ourselves and Natty together to make it up to the hospital. By God's amazing and constant grace, we had just enough time to hold him, talk to him, touch him and say good-bye- probably no more than 10 minutes. His heart stopped beating while Scotty was holding him. It was the first time we had been allowed to hold him, and the last time we would do it while he was living. The rest of the day was a blur of emotions, as I'm sure you can imagine. The only thing that really brought us hope or peace was the idea that Zion was being held by Christ, that he has a new and whole body, that He will never be in pain again and that he is full of joy before His savior. Truly that brings a smile to my face.
I'm realizing that grieving is so much more than just missing a person. It's missing what would have been, what you dreamed life would be like with that person, how that person would have affected your life. For Zion, we imagined this beautiful bond and playtime between him and his big sister. We imaged our house filled again with the little cries of a newborn. I imagined hours of holding him, rocking him, putting him to bed, nursing him, watching him discover his world and develop. We imagined a bigger family and the things we would do together. We imagined what his strong personality might be like and how he would interact with others. We planned to have kids close together so we could have a big family. We planned our future house with that idea in mind. We prayed that he would become a godly man of integrity. So many expectations and hopes that we must release and believe that God has a better plan. Medically, it's not even safe for me to think of conceiving again for a year- what do I do all that time without the baby I thought I'd have?? And yet, our hope is that God knew all of those things when He chose to take our baby to Himself. He knew about the waiting, the dreams, the expectations. And he found that it would be good to write a different story. I believe we will see glimpses of how that story intertwines with different areas of our lives and thank God for His great wisdom. For now, we take each day as it comes, thankful for a healthy little girl, thankful for people right here in our neighborhood and around the world that love us, thankful that God, too, knows what it is like to lose a son. We will pray for the patience to wait on Him.

26 comments:

Steve said...

Though your emotions are raw and painful at this point in the journey, what a beautiful picture you have created of your enduring faith and blessed assurance in the Lord. Your story with Zion has surely changed, but we know He loves you enough to write another beautiful story for your future. We pray for the comfort and peace only He can give. We love you so very much.

Unknown said...

"God, too, knows what it is like to lose a son." So true. This is a beautiful tribute to your son. We love you and are mourning with you. David and I have both been deeply affected by your grief.

nicole said...

"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24

We love you so much and we are lifting you up in prayer throughout the days. We are thankful for you and for your great faithfulness.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful to read, Lisa. Filled with the hope that He will redeem it all, wipe away every tear, and that your sweet boy is happy, whole and right where he was created to be. Praying that as you wait on Him you will continue to experience a grace you could have never imagined covering you in your grief.
Love ya'll.

The Pauls said...

Through your words I feel your tears,it is so hard to understand the "whys" of God. I hope He will reveal some of His plan to comfort you more during your greif. We open ourselves wide open when we say,"here I am God use me" the answers are often hard for a season. We love you, but no as much as God!

Megan Makes Three said...

I know that you don't know me and I really don't know you except through your blog. I too have lost children. If you get the chance, please read the book "Mommy, please don't cry there are no tears in heaven." by Linda DeYmaz. It is a very touching book that really helped me when I lost my two kids. - Randa

mims said...

Thank you, Lisa. As God gives you strength and enables you to express your thoughts, feelings, trust and hope so transparently it comforts us and all who come eagerly to read what you have written. Your Mims

undergroundcrowds said...

that was bitter sweet and beautiful. Thinking of you and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Scotty & Lisa,

We know Scotty and his parents from DBC and have been following Zion's progress through Sharon Bedwell on FB. Was so sad to see her post this morning...was blessed to read your blog and to see that you have complete trust in God.

Our precious Savannah passed away at 2 months (12 years ago) with a heart defect (HLHS) and it has been a walk of faith & trust through it all. I identified with so much of what you talked about...dreams for your child, emptiness, etc. Most important is that complete faith that God is in control and Zion's life, no matter how brief was designed by God.

We believe that God knew how long Savannah would live and that in her 2 months, she accomplished His plan for her life. We know that she was welcomed in heaven - as Zion was - with "well done, thou good and faithful servant".

Allowing others to see your grief and trust is a huge witness - and this blog is such a great tool for people who are hurting to see that God can truly bring you through anything.

We have always said that losing a child is like losing an arm or leg - you never get over it, you will never be whole, but you will learn to live with it.

Savannah's headstone has "Matthew 21:16" inscribed on it. We will pray for you during this difficult time and also that you will continue to give God the glory for Zion's precious life - his impact will live on and you KNOW you will rejoice in heaven when you see him again!

Mike & Lorie Strange

Joe Holman said...

We are grieving with you. It is so painful. Wish we could hug you guys.

Kyle said...

Our family is praying for you!

Anonymous said...

I found you through Missional Mom ... and I just want you to know I've read about your loss and grieve with you.

I also rejoice with you in knowing that God is always us to something bigger than we can comprehend. His plan and His story might require us to crucify our dreams and desires but thankfully, He is gracious and loving enough to not only ask us to do such, but then to also carry us through.

May you experience His sufficient grace in the many days ahead and beyond.

beth said...

Lisa - I have cried with you this last day and so much appreciate your willingness to process your grief with those who love you so dearly. We are holding you in our prayers and know that the God of all comfort will meet you in these raw and excruciatingly painful places. Praise Him for Zion's life and now for Zion being in His presence. We love you so much.

Susan said...

Dearest Lisa,

My heart goes out to you, I'm just so very, very sorry.

I pray the Lord's grace, and love will carry you now and in the days to come.

If you don't mind I'd like to recommend a book for you. I will buy it for you if you send me your address.

It's called "Holding On to Hope". It's written from a mom who lost 2 babies of a rare gentic disease.

Or she has a one year devotional called "HOPE".

Here is a link to her site so you can check it out.

I would be honored to bless you with this.

http://www.nancyguthrie.com/

Praying you through,

Susan

Anonymous said...

I saw a link to your blog on a friends fb page; my husband went to Taylor with your husband. It's been years since we've thought much about God, or had any sort of relationship with him. Seeing your faith, your raw, true, faith through something like this has made me realize how empty I am - how much I miss that. Please forgive me for intruding on your personal time of loss, but I felt compelled to share this. You have my deepest sympathy.

Leslie said...

I don't know you, but I'm praying for you and your family. I am so sorry.

Denise Harton said...

I am Dana's mom and learned of you through her post on fb. Your blog touched my heart deeply and I also will continue to pray as God comforts you both.

melissa said...

Lisa, I remember this, I remember walking this path... I know God will sustain you! Your son will always be remembered and cherished - he did not live 19 days in vain. Each life, no matter how brief, forever changes the world. I am rejoicing for Zion, but grieving for the many, many losses you are experiencing. You are being held up in prayer, and held by the mighty hand of a Father who loves you and loves Zion more than you will ever know.

"He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart" Isaiah 40:11

nicole said...

"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24

Our God is being glorified through your faithfulness. We love you.

Andrea Young said...

My precious friend Shawnda shared your blog with me--and I'm so thankful she did. I really will be praying for you. Know that even those you don't know are praying for you and lifting your family up during this time...and especially during your next year of processing, grieving, walking through the day in and day outs. May you feel the Lord's presence daily...and may you especially feel Him now.

erin said...

lisa,
you guys have been on my mind and in my prayers all day. thanks you for sharing your words and I praise God that he is giving you grace to trust him. we've been praying for you in our small group too, so I pray God strengthens your family throught the prayers of his people.
erin

Matt & Alicia Clark said...

Scotty & Lisa,
We're truly at a loss for words... our hearts ache for you as you grieve over little Zion and miss him so much!! We can only imagine how indescribable the hurt is at times... But we're so thankful for your awareness of the Lord's Presence... how He's comforting you, helping you to process, & reminding you of Truth... what a precious and beautiful thing to trust in the Risen Christ... to know the fact of His resurrection, and to anticipate His making all things new one day. (Come, Lord Jesus!) Thanks for pointing us to Him - and the sure hope we have in Him! - as you grieve. We continue to keep you in our prayers... Love, Alicia & Matt Clark

Anonymous said...

I found your entry through a friend. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm praying for your family, that you would be comforted and know the Lord's peace, which surpasses all understanding.

Anonymous said...

I found your entry through a friend. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm praying for your family, that you would be comforted and have the Lord's peace, which surpasses all understanding.

Maria said...

Lisa, thank you for writing this. It has been so hard to know what to say or do for you and Scotty except pray. It is awesome to see how God has turned your mourning into dancing and how you have glorified Him in the depths of agony - but isn't that what faith is really all about? May God bless you both during this time of healing and fill your empty hearts with His joy.

Caryn said...

The Turner family from BBC is praying for you! May the Lord's sweet grace sustain you during these difficult days.