Sunday, September 01, 2019

Day 1: Words of power.

Remember yesterday when I said I thought I could write every day for 30 days?  I might have been wrong. My mind whirls with all the trivial things that happened today and I wonder if anyone would care to read about them.  There are so many well-written blogs with handy links and perfectly crafted ideas...what have I to say that has not already been said in a hundred different ways?  Is there really any value to what I think?  I have to admit this is something I mostly subconsciously struggle with.Other people are smarter or more informed or better communicators.

But, our words have power.  It's something I've been thinking a lot about this last year or so.  Think about the last time someone complimented you...not on what you were wearing, but on your character.  An older man at church told me one time, "You do such a great job of making people feel welcome and important."  I never knew that!  It gave me the confidence and desire to put myself out there a little bit more on Sunday mornings when my natural tendencies make me want to run out of church the second it's over to avoid all those inevitable small-talk conversations.  This man took the time to communicate one small thing to me that he appreciated and it made a huge difference. 

I've been trying this out on my kids more.  It can be very tempting to communicate my displeasure with them when they are arguing or "forgot" to clean up their junk again.  But, am I taking the time to praise them when they are playing well together or just telling them what amazing little people I think they are- calling them to something a little greater?  I've read that facial expression and body language speak many times louder than the words we use.  What does my tone of voice and my death-stare communicate to my children?  Moses is especially susceptible to a harsh tone and it immediately triggers a fear response in him.  As tricky as this can be, (cause, let's face it- we mommies get annoyed sometimes) it is such an important reminder that I can show love to my children by correcting or directing them in a tone that says, "I mean business right now, but you're important to me, so let's figure out together how we can make this work." 

Think about your words this week.  What you're saying.  How you're saying it.  How's that goin' for ya?

No comments: