Thursday, September 19, 2019

Day 16: Yes, I could. (A continuation from Day 15)

Yesterday I had a question- could I leave Bolivia?  Today, I got an answer! If there was a problem, yo! I'll solve it.  Ok, so the answer didn't come from Vanilla Ice...it came from the Lord!  He's so awesome like that.

I've been reading through the gospels slowly in the last few months.  Today, I was on Luke 12.  Let me just show you three things that encouraged my heart regarding my questions, doubts, fears and general unsettledness.  In verse 22 Jesus is telling his disciples that they are worth more than the ravens and reminds them how well taken care of these birds are, despite them having far less value than God's children. "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?" (v. 25-26)  Great questions, Jesus!  I suppose I shouldn't be because you've just told me you're going to take care of my families needs in every way! 

Then He goes on to tell us that so greatly do we need not worry, that we should be willing to sell everything and give to those who have need.  "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (v. 34)  Is my treasure in my comfort, in my home, in my routine, in my community, in my long years in Bolivia?  None of those things are bad or wrong, but, if I value that above letting it all go for the sake of Christ, my heart is in the wrong place.  In fact, that would be an idol in my life.  Whoa, good word. 

Earlier in the text, Jesus tells a parable of a rich man who has stored up all his possessions and is now kicking back to enjoy the fruits of his labor.  But then the Lord comes and calls him a fool for not being prepared and for laying up treasure on this earth.  I sure don't want to be called a fool by the living God!  But, have I not done this for myself?  Have I not laid up all these sweet Bolivian treasures and am in a sort of kick-back mode?  To be fair, I don't live like this all the time, and I believe that our family has been "rich toward God" (v. 21)....but, it is a temptation to fall back on all that.

So, I stopped about 3/4 of the way through Chapter 12 because there was already so much there that God used to focus my eyes again on the things that matter and it was enough.  He is enough.  Could I do it all over again?  Yes, by the grace of God, I could.

No comments: