Friday, September 06, 2019

Day 5.5: Leaving.

Ahhh!  I missed yesterday!  It was a busy day and, well, I kinda forgot.  And, I have a cold.  Sorry...
BFFs.
The other thing that happened yesterday is that a classmate of Natty's left the school suddenly.  I'm sure I've mentioned it before on the blog, but it still holds true: When people leave it's really hard. 

We live in this town where everybody knows everybody else's business and in the Highlands community, we are tight.  I don't know everyone, but I know their faces and I see them every day and for our kids, there are very few changes in their classes.  They start out with a crew in kindergarten and those kids are more or less the ones they will grow up with and mostly likely stay in touch with all their lives.  I love that!  I especially love it because we are also a school staffed mainly by missionaries.  Often times those missionaries are young and not necessarily on the long-term missions path...which translates into lots of them coming, getting attached to our kids (and vice versa) and then leaving.  So, in their precious few years, our kids have had to say good-bye to a lot more loved ones than most kids their age.  Don't even get me started on the yearly heart-wrenching ritual of saying good-bye to grandparents!

So, when I showed up to school yesterday, I first saw two of Natty's classmates standing outside, sobbing.  Then I went inside and saw more.  Than Natty came over with red eyes.  Then I gave her leaving classmate a hug and I started crying!  My sorrow was more sympathy for my daughter- knowing that this will not be the last time she goes through this.  Hoping that she'll continue to let people in and love well and grieve well.  Knowing that TCKs (third culture kids) like ours often grow up with nicely constructed emotional walls to protect them from all this turmoil. 

Our school is going through a great time of transition and things are a bit rocky.  Will you pray with me for our kids' hearts and that the Lord will maintain this sweet community that we are so grateful for?

No comments: