Saturday, September 21, 2019

Day 17: Family sub-culture.

This picture has nothing to do with this post, but I took it on Friday when I went to buy fresh trout for Natty's bday and thought it was too fun not to post!

I had the worship music up loud this morning as I washed dishes.  Partly because I wanted to hear over the running of the water and partly because I needed a loud voice to remind me of the faithfulness of God.  Natty came in and said, "Who turned the music up so loud?"  I responded that it was already up that loud when I put it on, so I just left it as it was.  Her unexpected and very perceptive response was, "Oh, you must be in a good mood because usually you come in and say 'Turn this music down- it's too stimulating!!!'".  She imitated me with a funny voice and her arms swinging around, which I'm pretty sure I don't do.  But, I had a good laugh about it and was interested that she had picked up on something we've learned with Moses about how certain situations or noises can be overly stimulating to him and cause melt-downs.  I'm pretty sure I've explained that when I'm stressed or upset, noise seems to be the thing that will push me over the edge the fastest.

We all create little sub-cultures in our homes with our habits, what we spend our time doing and what we talk about the most.  I love hearing my kids pick up phrases that we use a lot- it helps me understand that they are, in fact, listening to me and absorbing some of the messages that are important.  On a good day, I might hear Jubilee ask Moses for a compromise while they play- a technique we learned he would especially benefit from as a way to "share" control and avoid a lot of power struggles.  Something kids who have had to learn that the world is not a safe place can often employ.  I've tried hard to teach the kids that instead of retaliating or coming to tell me about every single thing their sibling does to annoy them that instead they can use the script, "When you do _____, it makes me feel _____."  Natty has been putting that one into practice more and more these days.  And Moses never fails to surprise me with his knowledge of the Bible and his ongoing desire to go to heaven so he can be with Jesus.

I've always wanted to be an intentional mom with how I raise my kids and what I speak into their lives.  I often feel like it's pretty hit or miss or that maybe they're picking up more on my own sins and bad habits than the good things.  So, it's rewarding when you recognize that the message is finally getting through and I pray that the faith Scotty and I live out before them will speak loudest of all.

No comments: