Thursday, October 02, 2008

First walk


I got outside today!! I have been cooped up in the house with doctor's instructions not to leave until Thursday, especially since we live on the third story of a house and stairs could be a bit rough on my body. I hadn't sniffed fresh air for a week since returning home from the hospital. I was a bit nervous to take Natalie out at first, not quite sure how she would react to being in the sling or being outside. And in La Paz, the sun is so crazy intense that I didn't want a drop of it to hit her little, vulnerable face. The sling was great and covered her well and she happily sat inside, dozing, while we took about a 20 minute walk around the 'hood. I'm not sure if I am supposed to exert myself as much as I did- you can't walk much of anywhere here without going up and down some fairly steep hills. But, it felt wonderful and gave me the confidence I needed for leaving the house and actually going into town tomorrow. I haven't figured out how to nurse in this sling, nor if I want to try, but that would sure help if she does get fussy or it happens to be around a nursing time when we are at the pediatrician. This felt like a huge accomplishment for me and I needed it as I will be saying "good-bye" to my mom on Saturday. The plan was for her to come right before my due date and spend a good 3 weeks helping me and Natty, but because she came so late, she had to extend her trip by a week and still only had a little over a week with us in the house. It will be scary to be alone, even though Scotty will be available some, but I'm sure we'll get through it. I've decided to make very small daily goals, but also try to have grace with myself if I don't always get them done. Keep praying for us!

What a pretty neighborhood we live in! You can see our house, the top story of the red, 3-story building, in the distance between our heads.

2 comments:

melissa said...

wow, i'm so impressed, lisa! out and about, baby in the sling - you're fabulous! natalie looks so snug and happy. i got a moby wrap (i think that's what you've got there) when judah was born and he's loved it.

here's a couple instructional videos on how to bf while wearing your baby. it takes some practice, but it sure is handy!



http://www.ehow.com/video_4441708_public-breastfeeding-baby-wrap.html

http://magiccityslingers.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/hands-free-breastfeeding-in-a-wrap/

Anonymous said...

Hey you! Way to get out, feels good, huh? Be careful with the exertion, just a little at a time and NO FULL SPEED AHEAD until baby is 6 weeks old! (Abdominal surgery is the pits, huh?) You and Natalie look awesome! Love you all!