Thursday, October 12, 2006

Proud parents



Yes, today we bought kittens. This has been a dream of mine and something we've talked about doing ever since we got married, and finally we live in an apartment where we can have them! We received a phone call last night informing us that the public transport guys were going to be continuing the strike, so our SIM team meeting was called off for this morning...which also meant our trip up to the market to buy pets was called off too. Much to our surprise, we got another call around 8 this morning letting us know that an agreement had been met by the transportistas and we would have the team meeting. We briskly walked downhill to catch our bus and enjoyed a few hours of sharing, laughing, singing praise choruses, and praying with our teammates- so thankful again for an amazing group of people to support us here. After everyone left, our friend Michelle left her baby boy for the first time for more than a few minutes (in very capable hands) in order to drive us up to the market and help us find where they sell the pets. We had to walk through the American clothes market first, where Scotty found the smashing University of Florida (my alma mater) National Champs shirt, which he is sporting in the picture with our cute little orange kitten. When we finally made it to the pet street, we were bombarded with parrots, rats, kittens, puppies, guinea pigs (which they eat here...not sure if these were pets or lunch), and rabbits. Michelle warned us to watch out for the monkeys, but they seemed to be out of stock today. We searched high and low through the kitten cages, finding it hard to bypass lots of cute faces and meows. But we had high standards and knew when we saw these 2 little ones that they were the ones for us. The grey we named "Malphurs" after a street name close to our old house in Charlotte that we always thought would make a good cat name. The other, who I call "Creamsickle" or "Orangey", has yet to be named. We have high standards for names too and must wait for the perfect name to be spoken to our hearts. We like being cat parents.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww...my heart is melting. I love cats. I am alone in that, however, in my home. :-)

Let's see....good cat names...in my family, we've had Trouble, Trouble Junior (T.J. for short), Ralph, Hiss-'N-Spit (I think he had another name first but quickly earned his REAL name), Molly, Happy, Smokey (he was rescued from a housefire), and Tabby (short for Tabitha).

You can always do the cliche "Boots" or "Rusty." Or name him "Heathcliff" after the hero in Wuthering Heights. Then everyone will think you already read it. ;-)

Nicole said...

Awww...I LOVE cats, but I, too, am alone in that in my house! Jonathan doens't like them and he's allergic to them.

The only cat I ever had was when I was in college. I was an RA and had the cat in my residence hall room...and yes, I was breaking the rules! The only pets allowed were fish...bad RA!!

beth said...

I love cats, too, and fortunately, unlike Kelly and Nicole, my family shares my love. We've had good old Madison for about 8 years now and he's just the best. I'm partial to grays and tabbys. Never had an orange kitty, but I always thought if I did, I'd name it Marmalade. And then there are the names Joel wanted to use when we got Madison, Cheek-tongue-eye (go figure??? - he was only 4) and Firepot. Can't wait to hear what you choose.

I think cats just make a house feel like a home. There's something very civilized about a cat curled up on the chair or up in the windowsill surveying the scene below.