Thursday, October 19, 2006

For such a time as this

This morning was difficult for me, and consequently for Scotty as well. As we are faced with different decisions about where and how to get involved and what is the best use of our time, I find myself confronting fears that I had only a slight idea were there. There are moments in life when you realize what Christ meant when He said that if anyone is to be His disciple, they must take up their cross daily and follow Him. As I come to understand the call that God has on us, I find myself grasping and fumbling to hold onto any scrap of my own desires and bits of my life that I don't want to give up. And now that I am married, I want to clutch my relationship with Scotty to myself and not release that to the merciful hands of God either. So I cry and we pray and I seek my God who has placed all these things in front of us. I took a walk to a plaza this morning, after going through these emotions with Scotty, and opened my Bible to where I had left the marker last. I have not used this particular Bible for more than a year and found that the mark was placed in Ester, right at the time Mordecai found out King Xerxes was going to anhilate the Jews, and runs to Queen Ester asking her to throw herself on the king's mercy in order to save their people. Ester initially expresses a bit of doubt because the king has not called on her for a month and to come into the presence of the king without his call deserves death. Mordecai responds saying, "Who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Ester decides that if she is to die, it is worth it to try to save many. Earlier, I had thought about how I can sometimes feel alone, thinking no one quite understands what I am going through and how many people I have left in order to be here. Then comes Ester- a woman who was given to a stranger king in marriage, one who hasn't even seen her for 30 days, and must have felt much more isolated than me. But knowing that she can make a difference to many lives, she is willing to go to her death.

Then I felt compelled to read John 10, in which Jesus speaks of Himself as the Good Shepherd. He says that He has called His sheep by name, they know His voice, He leads them out and goes before them. He says He has laid down His life for us and that He has come so that we may have life to the full.

Such a powerful sense that God gave me as His Spirit led me to the scriptures of His greater plan and His promise to be with us and to guide us. There is much peace in knowing a Savior like that.

3 comments:

beth said...

Amen, Lisa. Praise God for the peace he brought to your troubled and hurting heart through His precious word. Our sermon this past Sunday was on Luke 14 and I think of verses 25-33 in light of your post. The cost of following Jesus is high, especially for those of you who have followed him to a new land and culture, far from family, home, friends and all that's familiar. My prayers are with you as God prunes, refines, and purifies you for His good purposes. Lots of love in Him,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Punkie said, Lisa as a mother of a missionary daughter, Icertainly understand where you are coming from and as I HEARD YOU POURING OUT YOUR HEART I CAN SO IDENTIFY WITH YOU. THANKS FOR BEING SO TRANSPARENT . OUR SAVIOR IS SO PERSONAL THAT HE DESIRES TO HEAR ALL THINGS FROM US. MY EARNEST AND HEARTFELT PRAYERS ARE W/ YOU BOTH. YOU HAVE BEEN AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO ME TODAY JUST BY READING HOW MIRACULOUS OUR GOD IS IN AND THRU THE POWER OF HIS WORD. I LOVE YOU GUYS. KEEP PRESSIN AHEAD. PUNKIE

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I was about to turn the 'puter off for tonight and head up to bed when I realized I hadn't checked to see if you'd written. Tomorrow a.m. I am to bring a devotional for the WIC Ladies Mtg. and my subject is the love of God. When I conclude I will ask the ladies to join me in reading these words written by Horatio Bonar ... perhaps they will be an encouragement to you as well:

"O love of God, how strong and true, eternal and yet ever new,
Uncomprehended and unbought, beyond all knowledge and all thought!
O love of God, how deep and great, far deeper than man’s deepest hate;
Self-fed, self-kindled like the light, changeless, eternal, infinite.

O love of God, our shield and stay through all the perils of our way!
Eternal love, in you we rest, forever safe, forever blest.
We will exalt you, God and King, and we will ever praise your name;
We will extol you every day, and ever more your praise proclaim."

Know that you are a recipient of His great love and be encouraged.

Mims