Friday, October 27, 2006

A good day

Funny how it's the little things added together that make a really good day. I must say there have been some tense moments in the last couple of days, more challenges in the process of getting used to being a missionary in Bolivia, but also many reminders that Christians will suffer and as a result of those times be conformed more into the image of Christ. I woke up this morning praying that today would be better than yesterday, that I would trust in God for His provision and control over the events of my life- hoping to understand that they are for my good and His glory. I had planned on meeting a friend for lunch, a girl my age that I got to know a little during the women's retreat a few weeks ago. Scotty planned on visiting the boys home where he used to work, checking out the two new homes that they've built since we left over a year ago. We went our seperate ways, each anxious to interact with Bolivians in hopes of forming deeper relationships in our community. Giovanna and I met downtown and walked to a Brazilian restaurant and she promptly ordered the cow's tail special...ick. She encouraged me to try it, only after I turned down the chance to share a plate of pig's feet, fried pork, and deep-fried, shredded llama. How could I turn that down, you ask?? For the next couple of hours we shared stories from our lives, lessons we've learned about trusting in God and being satisfied in Him, and much about our families. I left feeling like I had made a new friend and had a much needed opportunity to speak Spanish and attempt to express myself regarding deeper issues. After parting from Giovanna, I made my way toward the grocery store in search of finding a good ice-cream to accompany the brownies I'm making for friends we are hanging out with tonight. Can you believe I found mocha?? This might not seem hard to believe, but Bolivia hasn't quite caught the coffee craze (not to the extent that Scotty and I are crazy about coffee), so this was another small thing that made my day. Then, on my way home, I decided to grab Scotty's favorite candy bar, Golpe (which also means a hit or punch), as a gift for our one year, 2 month anniversary. :) God is good to bless us with little things that make the tough ones seem not-so-bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you try the cow tail? I don't know, the deep fried llama sounds irresistable to me...

Unknown said...

Oof, that menu is pretty disgusting.

Good for you for delighting in the little ways that God paved your way today!!! And happy anniversary + 2 months!

Nicole said...

Isn't God good to us? I'm so thankful He gave you mocha ice-cream and a friend to talk to!!

Miss you guys lots!