Saturday, May 02, 2015

Whirlwind.

Ok, I'll try to catch everyone up on the details without being too wordy.  Our hearing was confirmed a day or so before we were going to have it and up until the point that we walked into the judge's office, I was still slightly doubtful that it would actually happen.  I guess when you've gotten your hopes up so many times, it's hard to believe anymore.  We had an agonizing 45 minute wait for our turn and Scotty and I were feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing.  The lawyer had given us a brief prep, but when they finally called us in, I was fairly intimidated by how serious everyone looked and wondered whether or not I was supposed to make the rounds to do the traditional hand shake/cheek kiss to all these lawyers and social workers.  The judge hardly looked up when we walked in and probably didn't make eye contact with me until I deliberately walked over when we were done and shook her hand with tears in my eyes and a big, "thank you!"  I chose to sit down and saw that my own lawyer followed suit, which made me feel better.  Then, we proceeded to listen to everyone in the room walk through the motions with varying levels of mumbling and disinterest.  However, it felt really good to hear each representative of the various public sectors involved express their approval of us and our desire to adopt Moses.  And so, within about 7 minutes, we were officially assigned this baby we'd been praying and hoping for for so long.  I couldn't help crying a little as we left the office and knew we were on our way to meet our son!  It felt good to walk up to the orphanage like we had so many times before, but now have permission to go inside.  The building itself is old and ornate and the grounds are full of grass and gardens of flowers.  They led us to a large room with pink carpet and a stage in the back and we sat down on old but well-kept couches to await our boy.  I wasn't too nervous at this point- more curious about my own reaction.  Sister Maria, the head of the baby ward, walked him in and he looked pretty different from the picture we had from the newspaper.  She handed him over to me directly and although he wasn't smiling, he didn't seem particularly scared either.  He watched the girls with some interest and I tried to wrap my mind around the fact that this is my son while the social worker gave us a brief run-down of what the next few days would look like.  In the hearing, we were informed that we needed to spend at least 3 full, straight days with him for a time of observation before he could come home with us.  Another few days of paperwork after that and a hearing for the judge to give us the final release.  Jubilee was immediately interested in playing with him, while Natty sat back and made a sour face.  So, then we started our tour of the facilities, Moses riding my hip and saying nothing.  We were impressed with the bright colors, the kids decorations, the stuffed animals, the cozy cribs with each child's name, the organization of meal times, washing up, diaper changes, the friendly staff, the sunshine in most of the spaces and most of all, how much the woman in charge seemed to care for the kids.  All those who can hold up their head and body spend most of their waking hours in walkers-either dragging themselves around, being dragged around by older, walking children, or rolled by the caretakers.  18 is just too many to hold when there's only 3 in charge (or sometimes less, depending on the time of day).  I have to say, the first afternoon with him felt strange and I just kept thinking, I can't believe this day has finally come.  And, as I also expected, it was hard to imagine that this little boy in my arms was my child.  However, the first full day with him had me pretty attached and today, my second full day, he already feels so familiar and I love him more than I could have imagined I could so quickly.  It's tiring to be in an environment like an orphanage when you're trying to get to know your child and I quickly weary of trying to find things for us to do together.  But, I hate to leave him in the afternoon and know he'll have another night sleeping without us.  And, I can't wait to see him in the morning!  Well, there's more details but I think I've already failed to not be very wordy.  Maybe I'll save those for another post.  We're hoping he'll be released next Wednesday or Thursday and are praying to that end.  Hooray for Moses David!!  Thank you, Lord.

No comments: