Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day to me!


Yesterday, I asked the director of the orphanage if she would have mercy on us and let us take Moses home for a day since we are stuck there for another week.  We agreed overnight might be too big of a change for him when he'll have to go back to the orphanage before we get him for good.  So, we all jumped in the car this morning and got there just in time with him wrapped up in a thick blanket and baby-sized sleeping bag with a knit hat on (I had on a tank top and light hoodie jacket if you want to know how cold it really was) and ready to go!  They sent us home with their own food and his formula and bottle and we were off!
First car trip!  Going home...temporarily.

He was quiet, as usual, in the car and eventually drifted off for most of the ride home.  When we got here, we decided just to let him keep sleeping- I knew that his whole schedule would probably be thrown out of whack and was ready to try to roll with that.  Poor Jubilee was feeling crummy and didn't want me out of her sight.  It was a bit of a challenge to have her running a fever and wanting me to be with her, while we also tried to introduce Moses to his new home.  After waking up, we gave him the tour and he set off playing right away.  I was nervous he would be scared and cry, but I'm getting the impression that he really does have a laid-back nature, which is great!  He ate his mid-day meal without fussing and then had his bottle and actually fell right to sleep in his crib!
I never get to bottle feed him since he goes to sleep in his crib with his bottle.  

Cat nap.

 I was thinking, wow!  Perfect!  Then, he was up about 15 minutes later and would not go back to sleep for anything.  He usually naps for 3 hours mid-day in the orphanage so I knew this wasn't good.  We played with him for about an hour before I strapped him into his carrier and he fell asleep on me for close to 2 hours.  It was sweet and I tried not to feel bad about not doing anything but mostly sitting around all that time.  The rest of the day went as smoothly as to be hoped for and he even took a half hour or so nap in his crib later- going in awake and falling asleep on his own after chewing on a tag for a while.  He seemed happy here, interested in the girls and it felt amazing to have him in our home.  As night fell (he was supposed to be back around 7), we were all sad that we had to take him back.  It was just right for him to be here!  But, we bundled him up and he made it back just in time for playtime until bed at 9.  I told the head caretaker that she needed to let us have him again one day this week and she made it sound like we could take him home as much as we wanted!  Shhhhh...don't tell my lawyer.  ;)  Hooray!!  I'm hoping this will ease him into our home and not be overwhelming to spend the day with us and the night with them.  I have to say, he was pretty happy to see his caretakers at the orphanage when we got back.  That's a great sign, but I was a teeny bit jealous.  What a great mother's day gift!

No comments: