Monday, May 04, 2015

Day 4.

Today was Day #4 with Moses.  I think he's recognizing me and even bounced a little in his walker when I came in yesterday. Although we're still pleased with the orphanage, the realities of taking care of so many babies with so few people is becoming more apparent.  The littlest ones spend a lot of time just laying in their cribs.  Hence, the very flat head Moses has in the back.  Crying is often ignored or a bottle is tied to the crib sides and balanced in the mouth of the baby to quiet it.  I wonder how long it will take for us to break that habit.  After arriving today, I walked into the crib room and heard a baby incessantly crying while I looked at all the walkers for Moses.  Then I went over to his crib and realized he was the crier.  He had gotten himself wedged between the side of the crib and the mattress and there was no one around to relieve him.  These aren't huge things, but I know months of only getting the most basic needs met (except for love, the most important) takes its toll on a baby.  I'm anxious to get him out and get him home.  Our lawyer was supposed to talk with the secretary to make a date for our next hearing where he'll be released to come home, but I haven't heard from her.  This usually means no news.

Scotty, Jubilee and I went up this morning for an hour and a half to play with baby Moses.  I usually strap him into the baby carrier for a bit, which signals sleep-time in his mind.  When I see the eyes drooping, I get him out so as not to throw off the orphanage schedule.  They have meal/bottle time planned for right before nap so every feeding is a game to see who wins- Moses, falling asleep before eating or me, pouring food down his throat as fast as possible.  I feel so bad for him as I continually try to rouse him to eat while his eyes are rolling into the back of his head. Is it always this way or are we particularly exhausting to him?  I asked the director this morning if I could take him out of the orphanage for a walk this afternoon, fulling expecting her to say "no".  But, she said that was fine and so we ventured out for the first time.  He was either mesmerized or terrorized by the cars and then fell asleep directly.  It felt good to have him in a more regular environment and I tried to imagine having the freedom to do that whenever I want.  For now, we are just trying to balance his twice daily visits which eat up the majority of the day, while also dealing with the girls and other things that need to get done.  I'm still amazed that it's all finally happening and can't wait till we can bring him home!

2 comments:

mims said...

I've been meaning to tell you that Marilyn M expressed relief the Moses is "just" 7 months and that you are getting him. Apparently "attachment issues" don't begin to develop until 7 months to a year so she feels you are getting into his life before those issues develop. I found that comment very encouraging and thought you would also.

Erica said...

Lisa- congratulations to your whole family!! So exciting and I'm so thrilled you have finally laid eyes on your son! How old is your Moses? Our Moses (we call him Max) was 11 months old when we met him. He would conk out so quickly during our 2 hour visits. I think that was his coping mechanics when he was overwhelmed. Also we probably wore him out with all the one on one attention. It didn't stay that way for long. :) Very excited for you and I can't wait to see pictures of your whole family! I've been writing a little about our first days home. Things have changed so much since then! We are 8 months home this week. And it feels normal now. :)