Thursday, March 19, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things


I asked Scotty if he would bake me a cake for my birthday if I were to find a box mix and icing. He agreed and the hunt began for the perfect combo. Growing up, and to this day, my favorite cake (and probably dessert) is a yellow cake mix with chocolate frosting. I'm pretty sure my mom made it for me every year. So, this was my goal for this year. If I were more organized, I would have picked up these items when I saw them in the store and put them away for this special occasion. But, I'm not. So, I started to look a couple days ago and it seemed that all the stores were getting was funfetti cakes and lemon icing-hmmmm, this does not measure up. Third time's a charm, they say. In my third attempt at the Achumani market (known for a variety of good imports), I came across vanilla cake and chocolate buttercream frosting- close enough! I had also picked up an envelope of blueberry muffin mix a few weeks ago and find that it will make a perfect addition to my breakfast/dinner tonight. My favorite birthday dinner was always smoked sausage, mac n cheese, and blueberry muffins (healthy, right?). Well, at least I have the muffin part. I've been wondering who the lucky party was that would share in the cake extravaganza, as it would not be prudent to consume the whole thing myself, as much as I would like to. I've decided, upon much contemplation, that our Saturday small group will be the ones to celebrate with me. They always look forward to the snacks I make for group and it will be a good way to share in my special day, even if it is a day late.

2 comments:

Steve said...

What wonderful memories! Wish we were there to share your day with you. Have a great time with your group, and enjoy that cake! Happy Birthday, honey! Much love and best wishes! Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lisa!