Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day of the baby



This morning we chose to have Natalie's dedication- something we've been wanting to do for a long time, but finally put on the books before she outgrew the dress we wanted to put her in for the event! I have talked to other moms about what it means to dedicate your baby to the Lord and I wanted it to be something more than just a milestone or common occurence. It was special for us to stand before our IBM family in the country of Natty's birth and commit to living godly lives before her, teaching her the Word and of Christ's love for her, and asking the church family to hold us accountable to this. It also meant for me a giving over of her life (not that it was ever in my hands) to the Lord and submit to His plans for her, whatever they may be. This will be a daily discipline for me, as I know times will come and have already come where I don't want to let her go and let the Lord have control. And yet, He loves her so much greater than I can and knows her needs so much better than me. So, Edgar read some scripture on the importance of raising a child in the ways of the Lord, prayed for her, asked a blessing for her life and for ours. He handed us a sweet certificate with her name on it and a children's Bible with a note he had written inside. It was a neat time to be congratulated by our church family with lots of hugs and kisses for us and Natty.
Natty always falls asleep on the 5 min. ride home- she looked so cute half-asleep on my shoulder!
This afternoon, we heard the twins downstairs- the grandkids of our landlords. Two boys who were born three weeks before Natty, who are being watched by their grandparents this weekend while their parents move to a new house. We decided it would be a great time to go down and play with them, also realizing it was a perfect opportunity to spend more time with our neighbors, whom we've felt convicted about reaching out to lately. We had a blast watching the three together, comparing size, eating styles, nap schedules, physical advancements, etc... We will definitely go play more with Edgar and David- cute boys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I ADORE that last picture. Would it be bad to photo shop my boy's faces on Natalie's body until I can go overseas and take my own? Ok, might be going a bit overboard, but seriously, that's incredibly precious.