Saturday, June 10, 2006

Saturday morning

I'm sure many of you who read our blog already have children...do you have traditions for the weekends? I let myself sleep in an extra half hour this morning (even though I went to bed at a wild 10:30pm last night) and woke up to my morning ritual of making coffee for me and Scotty. I enjoy my half hour of silence and protein shake-making while Scotty sleeps (through the blender- I don't think so- but he's still in bed). We had a plethora of left-over French bread from the famous lasagna evening, so I had predetermined that my protein power would be put on hold for a French toast morning. I had the revelation just a few weeks ago that after you freeze and defrost strawberries, they are mushy, so I used them as topping for the crunchy French toasts. After breakfast, we hopped on our bikes to take advantage of the beautiful day before it got too hot. There are amazing, unique, and cute houses all around us in the neighboring 'hoods, and one of our favorite activities to do together is to ride or walk around and check them out. I think we both take mental notes of things we like in a house for a few years down the road when we are building our own in Bolivia. I thought as I was riding home that I would love to have "Fun Breakfast Morning With Outdoor Activity" to be a weekend tradition in our family, both now and when we have children. I remember a seminar at the recent Women's conference I attended called "How to Make Your Home an Oasis" where the speaker challenged us to make our homes a creative and welcoming environment, especially when kids are involved. For her, Friday nights were "sleep wherever you want" nights, and the kids often chose to make the dining room table into a tent and sleep under it together. They could stay up as late as they wanted, as long as they didn't fight. I get excited thinking about what Scotty and I can create for our children to enjoy. I'd love to hear about fun things that have become a routine part of your family or that you remember with fondness from childhood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lisa and Scotty,
We haven't commented lately, nor had I read your recent blogs. Excellent blogs, guys! Lisa, I know you remember some of the traditions you had in our home (besides the doughnuts!), and I am anxious to see what you do with your own kids. They are precious memories to us. Good to see and hear all the fun things you have been up to. Talk to you soon. Love you both, lots! Mom and Dad K

Unknown said...

David usually takes one or more of the guys out for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

For the ones who stay home, I make homemade waffles...with chocolate syrup and whipped cream, if we have it. Otherwise we do plain old syrup.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa and Scotty,

I just wanted to say, "Hi," and to compliment you on these blogs. They are great fun to read and it makes it easier to communicate with you.

We are home today b/c schools are closed for what they thought would be hurricane Alberto. Jen and I just think the Lord arranged a day off for us to catch up on our work and to rest!
Either way, it gave me time to say hello to you.

God bless,
Joan
PS: I hope Scotty doesn't have to come back to fix our floors -- again.