Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Book signing and impatience.

Back up to sign the adoption book today.  This time we left Natty at school and Jubilee at home with our house helper.  I took the city bus up to meet Scotty and we walked the 14 blocks or so up the hill to the judicial office.  I managed to snap a picture this time, hoping I wouldn't offend anyone.
Judicial office dealing with issues regarding persons underage.
 I was wrong!  There are computers!  While that made me feel more hopeful about the general organization, the fact that it's taking FOREVER for our lawyer to find the necessary staff people to make our next interview date is frustrating.  I never cease to amaze myself with my own lack of patience.  I talked to the lawyer on the phone while I waited for Scotty to meet me, wondering if there was anything we could do while we were there, and she told me she needs to talk in person to the right people and that she hasn't been able to "find them".  I always have an inner dialogue that says something unhelpful like, "so the fact that we went up there over a week ago to start things up isn't enough time for you to have made the appropriate contact with the social worker?"  Instead, I chose to say, "Ok.  Well, let me know when you are able to talk with her."  I then asked about some other specific paperwork she had mentioned we needed and she said we could start working on that next week while the judicial office looks over our papers from the child and family services.  Last week she was telling me that we'd have an appointment this week and now she's saying that next week they'll still be looking over things that need to be seen before we can take the next step.  ARGH.  So, off we go to grab a snack before heading back down the hill to pick up Natty from school.  There was a mix-up at the cafe where we went and the waitress apparently didn't hear me order.  When she brought Scotty his cheesecake and espresso, I asked about my orange juice and she said, "No.  You didn't order anything."  But imagine the condescending way a parent talks to a child when they're frustrated with them.  That's kinda how she made me feel.  So, I gritted my teeth and said, "Ok. That's fine."  Time did not permit me to wait for my OJ.  So, we got our book signed this morning- score on the adoption front!  But, I got a bit of a smack up side my head as far as my impatience shining through.  Part of me wants to know why we have to frequently deal with poor communication and people not doing what they've said they will do when they said they will do it (don't get me started on our architect) and then part of me wonders why my character is so unrefined as I watch my reactions.  I suppose the first is part of the process of changing the second.  I wish it could be a bit more painless.

No comments: