Friday, July 04, 2014

God's sovereignty over errands.

So, this morning I took Jubilee to a much needed visit to the clinic to get a vaccine that she is almost a year behind on.  I've been waiting to do it and was sent specifically to the clinic by my pediatrician because she had run out of the vaccine.  When we got to the clinic, there was only one baby ahead of us, but it still took about half an hour before it was our turn.  When I got into the room, the nurse informed me that they don't have that vaccine either.  She did have one of the others that Jubilee is overdue for, but I didn't have enough money on me to purchase it and there is no way of paying a part now and the rest later.  I didn't work too hard to hide my frustration from the nurse and left struggling with aggravation that I was kept, again, from getting the shot that Jubilee has needed for so long.  Scotty then called and told me that his errand he had driven across town with Natty for, had also failed. I managed to get the chicken I needed from the chicken lady, but then got another call saying the vegetable order I had put in to get my weeks worth of vegetables didn't go through.  I had just left a large market area where I could have picked up the vegetables, if I had only gotten the call 10 minutes earlier.

Why do I tell you all this?  One, to confess how easily my heart can turn to bitterness and anger in small things.  Also, because from the time I experienced the first disappointment, I remembered what God has been speaking through various pastors in these last few weeks from the book of Ester.  The issue of God's sovereignty has been hit hard and we've been convinced that all the little details of Ester's life, including the wrong decisions made by her and the people around her, were necessary to fulfill the overarching and greater plan ordained by the Lord.  His purposes are good and perfect and in this mysterious control that He has over all things, He chooses to use all sorts of stuff to bring about His will.  For some reason, it seems easier to trust in this in bigger events in life- like when my kids are sick or some trip doesn't work out.  I suppose because it's more obvious that I don't have the control.  But, buying vegetables and getting vaccines seems like something I have control over and so it irritates me more when I can't make it happen.  I am fighting to believe that even in those seemingly insignificant things, God has a reason for the way it works out.  May He give me the strength and the faith to believe.

No comments: