Monday, August 04, 2014

Locked in and foiled again.

For quite a while now, we've been waiting for a few tweaks to be made on our house plans.  We meet with the architect and explain in detail what we want, he takes our plans and we don't hear from him for a couple weeks.  When the plans come back, some, but not all, has been done.  Repeat.  Repeat again.  This morning, we met with a structural engineer and our builder who got our plans, surveyed the land a bit and said they are ready to draw up the structural drawings to begin construction as soon as some minor changes would be done by the architect.  Scotty had a meeting with him scheduled right after.  Perfect!  He was to go to the architect's house and sit down with him so that they could work it out together.  He's had several dates like this canceled by the architect for one reason or another.  Am I effectively building some tension here?  So, Scotty leaves for his date with the architect.  The scene at home is Natty and me sitting on the couch.  Jubilee trots off to their bedroom, shuts the door and "click".  Hmmm, that's weird.  She's never locked the door before.  I quickly finish whatever I was doing with Natty and go to try the bedroom door.  Yep, locked.  "Jubilee, open the door."  She calmly calls back, "OK!"  I hear the door rattling.  "I can't!"  Me: Jubilee, you need to turn the lock.  J: Daddy says no lock.  Me:  Yes, but you DID lock it and now you need to unlock it.  Silence.  Steps retreating.  Me: Jubilee!  Come open the door!  J: Jussa minute.  I'm comin'.  Nothing.  Me:  Now, not in a minute.  J: OK, Mommy.  Nothing.  Mommy goes to wash dishes.  5 minutes later.  Me:  Jubilee?  Do you hear me?  What are you doing?  J: Reading!  The kitty one!  Me: Can you please try to open the door again.  J: Locked?!  Me: Yes, locked.  You have to try to turn the button on the knob.  J: Oh.  Door handle rattles. Steps retreating again. Well, as you can imagine, this goes on forever.  Jubilee maintains a tranquil attitude and her usual sing-song responses to my growing impatience and mild threats.  She only gets excited when I get desperate and tell her we're eating ice cream.  At that point she tells me she's peed in her pants and I hear her open her dresser to find new pants.  "The pink ones!" she says, as though she's dressing to actually go somewhere.  During this, I've called Scotty and finally admit that there's no getting the door open (I tried, trust me) and he  decides to come home since the keys to the bedroom doors are over on our land in some box, somewhere.  He eventually returns, opens the door after an hour of Jubilee's incarceration and she is sitting happily on the floor looking at books.  So much for our the meeting with the architect.  But, he did leave the plans, again, and the architect said he'd have them done this week...again.  I'll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Julia C said...

hahahaha - that is hilarious! And you did a great job writing it up.

Anonymous said...

Great story--held us in suspense the whole time.
Ed & Annette