Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2 weeks


I can't believe our little baby is 2 weeks old today.  She was due to be C-sectioned yesterday and it was strange to think she had already been with us almost 2 weeks longer than we expected.  I continue to marvel at God's goodness in bringing her to us healthy, despite being a bit earlier than we hoped for.  Really, I marvel at a lot of things these days.  Her birth and life has been such a focus in our family ever since I found out I was pregnant.  The journey was long and I am grateful for each of you who joined us in it through prayer and reading my blog and kind words.  But, that part of the journey is over now.  The waiting, the fight for faith, the doubts, the excitement and anticipation- it's done!  And now we hold in our arms this tiny embodiment of all of that.  Jubilee!  I love to say her name.  It's even more special to me now that it has a face than it was before- even though the meaning of it has been so important.  She's the culmination of things hoped for and the proof that God does love to give His children good gifts.  This isn't to say that Zion's life and death was proof against this.  To enter into that theological conversation is more than I intend for tonight.  However, I do believe that in losing our son, God showed us His perfect love.  And in blessing us with a smooth pregnancy and beautiful, perfect little girl, He also showed us His perfect love.  So, again I feel the depth and the height of the bounty of the Lord in my life and just feel this need to share that with you all who have been such good friends in the last year or so.

So what does life look like with Miss Jubilee?  Very much what I remember the newborn days with Natty being like.  Getting up at night- a lot.  Nursing- A LOT.  Being sleepy but not being sure how much coffee I should drink before it's going to have negative effects on the baby.  Wondering when the days will become predictable.  And, maybe strange for some of you, but common for me- not quite knowing what to do with myself when I do get a spare second.  I feel a lot less stressed than when Natty was a baby.  I don't quite know that I'm doing everything right with feeding and encouraging her to nap- I feel like babies are so hard to read at this age.  But, I'm not freaking out about everything and actually have enough energy to want to do other things- like shop.  But, I'm taking the doctor's recommendation and laying low in the house for about a month to avoid the nasty germs floating around this time of year.  My birthday is next week and I'm trying to think of fun things to do away from crowds to celebrate.  I'm dying to go on a date with my husband, but I'm too lazy to attempt pumping and leaving a bottle.  Plus, it just seems too early to leave the little one yet.  Anyway- that's what's going on in the day to day.  Jubilee looks like quite a serious one, but I'm guessing that's cause she can't smile yet.  She sleeps a ton during the day and has figured out her days and nights but really hates to be laid down awake.  Rocking to sleep is the only way to go (and my amazing husband does that every night in exchange for my time nursing).  She cries little, compared to lots of babies and we'll have to wait and see what else time reveals about her.  Jubilee!!

1 comment:

katiekimball said...

Congratulations, Scotty and Lisa! Praising God with you for the safe arrival of your little Jubilee! We are also in love with a new little miracle: our James David came on 2/14/12. Can't believe he's 5 weeks old already. God is good. Love, Katharine and Jimi