Sunday, September 05, 2010

Week(s) in review


Natty and I have been spending A LOT of time together lately. The week before last she was very sick. It was one of the hardest weeks I've had in a long time. She had continual high fevers and no particular symptoms to help us figure out what was causing them. She lived on tylenol andor ibuprofen for a week, which I didn't love, and then had to take antibiotics for a week as well. There were many things that happened in that week that reminded me that God is good, He is in control and He cares for us. When Natty spiked the highest fever, I was able to call my pediatrician on her cell phone at almost midnight. She talked me through what course of action we should take and for the next few days took at least two calls a day from me on her cell, checked in on Natty herself, made a make-shift office for her in a beautician's salon when she was working another job that kept her out of her own office, and was extremely loving and concerned through the whole process. She apologized repeatedly for not being in her office and for having to do so much on the fly. I tried to explain to her without crying (stress + pregnancy hormones= lots of crying) how grateful I was that she was helping us so much and going out of her way, even interrupting a busy, second job, to see us. Scotty was able to help me continually throughout the week. I was able to stay home with her all day, every day without needing to be anywhere, or could leave her with our house help if I had to leave. AND, she was better enough for us to go out on Friday night to celebrate our 5th anniversary. So, God was so good in all that. And, she started recovering relatively quickly after we got her on antibiotics. However, I still fought fear and sadness constantly! I felt like I prayed constantly as well, but did not experience the peace that I really needed from the Lord. I don't attribute this to anything but my own lack of faith. It was a real eye-opener to me to realize how little faith I have when it really matters and was reminded often of a Beth Moore study we are doing with our ladies in the church. It talks about experiencing God's presence and peace and that coming through a myriad of things, one of which is believing Him to be who He says He is and believing that He'll do what He says He will do. I had a hard time with that but was happily challenged to keep trying and ask for His spirit to help my unbelief. I am praising God that Natty is totally well and making up for a week of not eating by eating constantly. And, I am praying that the whole thing has made me a bit more firm in the Lord.

So, since I was home all week the sick week, last week was a whirlwind of visitors and dinners and out of town guests. It was fun, but this house saw more traffic than it has for a while. It made me feel good to be so useful to people, or just involved relationally, but I don't think I could keep that pace every week. On Thursday we had a wonderful couple come in who have been missionaries in Alaska, Canada and India for over 30 years. They are my parents age but I think they are younger at heart than me or Scotty or a whole lot of other people I know. They also have a passion for people, the Lord, and relationships that is challenging and infectious. They will be coming to Bolivia long-term- they're just not sure where yet. Our whole team is rooting for them to settle here and Natty has found another set of grandparents in them. They took to her quickly and she was playing only with them whenever they were in the house. It's a blessing when God brings people like that into your life, especially when you are far from family, and I think we all could learn a lot from their intense desire for relationship and evangelism. I'm happy, however, for a quiet Sunday afternoon to reflect on the week and take a deep breath. I think this week will be somewhat busy again and then the following week we're going to Arica, Chile to chill on the beach for 4 days- woohoo!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you are better Natty. Your cousins ask about you. LOL