Monday, August 23, 2010

Writing styles

I've noticed in the last year a couple new styles of writing. Sometimes I wonder if a pamphlet goes around the US to inform all the cool people that they should start writing this way and because I live in Bolivia, I didn't get the memo. Then, I think it's probably cause we are so all interconnected on Facebook that the trend catches on. So, this is what I've noticed:

1. Addressing a letter to an inanimate object:
Dear maternity pants,
You looked so nice when I first tried you on but after an hour or so, I found the bum sagging and lots of loose fabric around my thighs. As if losing my waist and gaining a bulging belly were not unsightly enough, now I have to look as though I have nothing to fill out the back of my pants with. How much more weight do I need to gain in my rear before you will conform?
Sincerely,
Unattractive in baggy pants

2. Addressing the weather:
Dear La Paz winter,
I think you have done your job quite suitably and I would cordially invite you to move on. We have welcomed you into the home with gas heaters and heavy winter jackets. We have willingly added an extra comforter to our bed and frozen our tooshies on the toilet seat each morning. We have even canceled school for a few weeks so that our children don't freeze to their school desks. But we feel the sun getting stronger and now we ask you leave. Please don't bring your arctic friends with you next year.
Sincerely,
Tired of being cold

3. Empahsis
With periods. So. Many. Periods.

Well, just a little observation. I find it fascinating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

(raises hand)
Guilty of all of the above. I find addressing inanimate objects (including the weather) a special brand of hilarious.

Julia said...

Hahaha...I've so noticed the whole multiple periods thing. Very funny to see this all captured in a post. Made me laugh during my bout of insomnia at 2:30 am...

melissa said...

Ah ha ha ha!!! #3 especially is one I've noticed. Very funny post, Lisa. =]

Megan Del Castillo said...

i. love. it.
especially the saggy bums and extra material around the thighs...can you write to my pants too?!