Tuesday, August 17, 2010

To school or not to school.

So, I picked up a friend this morning who was dropping off her kid at Montessori. She asked me if I wanted to come in and have a look around. Since we've considered putting Natty in a school for a few mornings a week in another 6 months or so, I thought I'd check it out. So pretty! I got the full tour and a lot of explanation about what Montessori is and how it works. The director and staff seem very competent and I think Natty would love the activities and I would love for her to have a chance for more social and Spanish interaction. I was almost sold as I walked out the door. Then I started thinking about the fact that she'd be barely two by the time we put her in. Is that too young? I firmly believe that there is nothing like a child being with their parents at this age and that it is a blessing for me to be able to take care of her. However, she's pretty isolated in the house as an only child and we really don't have a ton of opportunities to play with other kids. But, I also don't want her to grow independent too fast or to somehow be negatively affected by being dropped off 3 mornings a week somewhere away from home. I'm a bit at a loss about the decision and know I need to take some time to pray and seek counsel. Unfortunately, like every decision I have to make, I want to have the answer right away... I'd love some imput!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa
I think you should talk to Kristin Thomas about this...she's going through the same thing with their oldest. For now they have come to the decision to put her in school nearby but bring her home early and homeschool in the afternoon.
Some of the deciding factors are different, but you have a lot of the same concerns.

the johnson crew said...

i enrolled our four year old (anna) into half-day pre-school. and immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach. i have been praying about it for 2 weeks and i think we are not going to send her at all and i feel really good about it (i believe that is how God lead us). decisions like that are so hard. thankfully we have God for guidance.

beth said...

Lisa,
The Sneads have been very happy with the Chinese preschool for Vera and now, Eden. I'm not sure Vera would have learned as much Chinese as she knows without it. She goes in the mornings which gives Michelle time with the boys at home.

It's such a personal decision and your circumstances are quite different than they would be if you were in the US. There is no one right way and I know the Lord will lead you and Scotty to the decision that is best for your family.