Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sometimes we just need to slow down.

Natty and I went into town today to do a bit of grocery shopping and to see a friend who runs a store near the grocery. The sun was behind the clouds and it was still early enough (I'm still surprised that at least half of the stores are still not open at almost 10:30) to make for a nice, cool, low-traffic moment. So, I put Natty down to tread the concrete with her cute, pink tennies. She reached up to hold my hand and we began our slow saunter down the sidewalk. And, I mean SLOW. Natty, at 17 months, is just starting to get into walking. She still needs a hand to do it well, but is trying to get around a bit more on her own, on two feet. As we walked, I found myself observing things I usually am too busy to see. I have always been a fast walker, so I know that there are things I've walked by a hundred times and not noticed. Waiting for Natty's little steps, I took my time to watch people, look in store windows and notice nooks and crannies I had never noticed. I don't think having a toddler usually makes a mommy feel like the world is slowing down and she can take time to smell the roses, but God gave us this nice little 20 minutes or so to wander... Most people were dashing about and usually only the elderly (who were a bit more at Natty's pace) or young women noticed my cute little daughter plodding along. She got some smiles and a few "bebe!", but she was also too busy noticing things inside the stores- a cat on a Wii game box, "meow", Natty responds, trendy wallets, new shoes. I felt serenely out of the mad rush scene of people scurrying on and off public transport, no doubt running to their places of work or to classes. We passed by an old man who always sits on the edge of a planter by the ice cream parlor, playing a wooden flute instrument of some kind. I usually walk by, never sure of who I should give coins to and who I shouldn't. Today, we approached him so much more slowly and he caught Natty's eye long before we reached him. She stared as we got nearer and I noticed he had a pretty nice coat on and rubber boots. I usually see old men who beg with the standard sandals made from old tires, but this man had smallish rainboots. Interesting. Natty stopped in front of him and I saw that his ball cap already had about 10 B's worth of coins in it. I told her to say "hi" and she instantly shot up her hand and gave him a friendly wave. His flute playing stopped and he grinned a little and waved back. Then, we continued on as he began to make music again. I would like to take time like that more frequently, especially to become aware of those that are so often ignored. And more, I want my daughter to grow up recognizing those who have been forgotten. How much I still need to learn to pass on this value.
Natty has taken to "helping" me in the kitchen. She loves to be involved in what I am doing and I've found if I can get her on her stool and busy watching what I'm doing, I have to tell her "no" much less often. I ask her to bring her stool to where I am, she pushes it over, climbs up and usually rests her hands on the counter to watch me chop or mix or whatever. She likes to grab the vegetables and skins and play in the flour that may have spilled out when I was measuring for cookies. Then I help her down and she pushes her stool over to the sink where she revels in getting as wet as possible while I wash dishes. She even helps me throw away the trash. I think she'll be a great cook when she gets older and it's fun that she's at an age to participate with me.

2 comments:

Steve said...

What a beautiful narrative of a special time! You are so gifted in your writing, and share directly from your heart. Thank you for those few moments with you and Natty! We love you!

Lisa said...

Hi! I'm a mom from Bethlehem Baptist. I thought I'd introduce myself and just let you know that I read your blog and lift you up in prayer when I do. :-)

I appreciate your appreciation of slowing down with your daughter and involving her in your life (cooking for example). Its a good reminder to me that I need to just slow down...often the stress I feel is created by me needing to go faster...for no reason!

Blessings!

Lisa