Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Calle Uyustus


So check out this sweet Columbia jacket I picked up today for $18.50. I saw it on a mannequin at a used clothing store as we were driving to the market today, tried it on, and it was a perfect fit! You can never have too many jackets in La Paz. Score!
So, this was our first trip up to the market since coming back. Going to the market in town, about a 25 minute drive from our house- once you brave the traffic, the people darting about, the crazy public transport drivers, and the STINKY market- is quite an experience...in more ways than I just listed. When we lived up that way, I would go from time to time, mostly curious about what strange, little treasures I might find along with whatever necessity I was looking for. There is a witch market, a tool section, a housewear section, an aluminum, big-pot section, a plastics section, an office supply section, a wedding dress/cake making section, an electronics section, etc... This is a seriously large area of ground I'm talking about- miles and miles wide and long. Today, we were headed to Uyustus- the find-anything-you-could-possibly-want-and-a-whole-lot-you-don't section. We had a variety of things in mind, many of which we didn't find. But, don't fret! We did find a handful of stuff we didn't know/remember we needed until we got there (i.e. a nice, Columbia jacket). This street starts wide at the top, and narrows, as well as splits, as you head downhill. There are booths on each side and then in the middle further down, as well as some stores behind the side rows- both hidden and barely noticeable and then others that open into entire little malls. I've never ventured into half of the stores that lie beyond the main walkway and I'm sure would be quite surprised to know what is sold there. There are lots of men carrying way too much on their backs that you always have to watch out for, as well as one particularly horrific part where some sort of fried meat is sold for those who dare. One whiff almost caused Scotty and I to lose our lunch. There are some people who push past in a hurry, causing you to press into a booth of Brazilian plastic shoes or women's sweaters, and those that amble along- doing some form of window shopping in a place without windows. A stray dog here and there will trot past while a little baby toddles about making you wonder who is watching over her. The men and women who man the booths usually sit high amidst their merchandise, sometimes blending in so well you don't notice anyone is there at first. The walk down is brisk and interesting. By the time you get to the bottom you are on sensory overload, burned out by the intense sun (which was surprising for us today, as it is usually raining every afternoon), and not too excited to have to walk back uphill to find the car. I am always delighted by new things I see when I go to Uyustus. Today I noticed a better selection of kitchen goods and baby items than I've seen before. I walked into a small store that held 3, brightly colored glass bongs among the wine openers and pretty porcelain dishes. Weird! Natty was a champ, happily sitting in my Moby wrap, waving to the passers-by and taking it all in stride.

2 comments:

mims said...

What a pretty jacket you found ... the color will be great for you. Lisa, you write so well ... I really enjoyed your word picture of the street and all that's on it. Keep it up.

Steve said...

That is a really nice jacket, Lisa. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'd love to go to the market sometime. Sounds really interesting.... I think?