Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Trauma

It all started with a chicken. A dead, featherless (almost), cold, kinda stinky, chicken. I used to buy chicken breasts, without the bone, because I like the ease of just sticking one in the oven without much work, like the snipping of organs and ligaments. However, all the stores have gone on a boneless chicken breast strike and there are none to be found. So, a few weeks ago I ventured out and bought a whole chicken, with the promise from some stranger's blog that it can be dumped into a crock pot, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and left to cook all day. Ta-da! Lots of chicken meat with little work. Well, the first time I did this, it turned out alright, except after it was cooked I realized there must have been organs in the cavity because it was quite reddish brown and there was some mushy, yucky stuff in there. So, this morning, as I'm taking the bird out of the fridge to throw in said pot, I decide to work on removing the organs from the cavity- must like dissecting a frog, I promise myself (which was never a big deal to me). However, as I unwrap the legs, I see something unexpected inside. Now, I know there are many of you out there who have killed chickens, bought whole chickens with the same dilemma, or lived in a third world country and have dealt with this, but it was all new to me. Yes, I've lived almost 30 years without encountering such a sight. Back to the bird. As I unwrap the legs, I find that someone has done me the favor of also shoving long claws down there.

Big legs, with big nails- huge. I pull one out and immediately drop it on the counter- I'm pretty sure I saw a toe twitch. I yell to Natty, who is hovering above the kitty's food bowl, contemplating disobeying me again by playing in the water. She seems to get a kick out of my disgust. I pull out the other leg and it drops to the floor...I yelp a little. I pick it up before it has time to grab me and put both legs on a Bran Flakes box.
I'll just leave those there for Scotty to find when he comes into the kitchen, I decide. At this point, my heart is beating a little faster than normal but I calm down upon remembering my new kitchen shears and how much less disgusting the organs seem. Out come the shears and into the cavity they go. Snipping brown things and a heart and some stringy stuff and trying to scoop it all out with a spoon. Now I decide that the big stuff is out and it might be helpful to rinse out the inside of this poor, dead creature. I take it in the plastic bag over to the sink, run some water in it and pull it the rest of the way out of the bag. As I'm pulling, I notice a long, dangly thing at the other end. What is this strangeness, I wonder? Then it hits me, like a blow to the stomach. I see dead eyes, and a beak. No, it can't be...it's a long neck...and...the head! At this point I drop the bird into the sink, yell, like a little girl, and encourage Natty to come with me. I'm feeling a little queasy and wondering how I'm going to dispatch the head and neck of this thing. That means cutting or hacking my way through tubes and flesh and I don't know what else. It's all too much to handle at 7:30 in the morning. Scotty seems concerned at the screaming and inquires about what is going on. I explain my predicament and demand that he do something about it, immediately. Natty comes crawling in whimpering, a bit confused as to why her mommy is screaming. In a few minutes, the bird is taken care of, thanks to my brave husband, and I am cutting off skin, but looking at dinner in a way I never have before.
Can I actually eat this thing now that I've seen it looking so much like a dead animal? A dead animal that I butchered? Ick.

10 comments:

b. hart said...

oh, lisa... i feel your pain. my fam still teases me about the first time i was left home to bread chicken as a teen. they returned home only to find all the lights in the house off with me sprawled across the couch moaning that i was going to vomit or pass out or both. and that was just chicken pieces!

ML said...

Lisa, I can't stop laughing! Whew! Trauma, indeed. :) There's a reason I don't do whole chickens, and I have Dean deal with the Thanksgiving turkey...I can't bear to handle a dead animal that weighs just about as much as a small child. Ugh! And you had a head and neck and FEET to deal with! Maybe one day I'll turn a corner and it will no longer bother me and I'll laugh about these days, but not yet.

Ahhh...thank YOU for making me smile, friend! Glad Scotty was there for you and hope Natty isn't too scathed by the incident. :) I'd say you gave it a good try! Hoping for innocent boneless, skinless chicken breasts for you in the future.

Unknown said...

AUGH! That is a great play by play! I would have freaked out, too. Were you able to eat?

Steve said...

Lisa, what a hoot! I was grossed out just looking at the pictures. I can't imagine what the real thing would have done! Glad Scotty was there to dispatch the icky parts. I hope you were able to eat after all that. Maybe the next time won't be so bad. I vote for flash-frozen chicken breasts!

Anonymous said...

And now you know why I'm a vegetarian. :) If I can't kill it and debone it myself (which I definitely canNOT), I figure I shouldn't eat it. I hope you recover from your trauma soon! - Tina

melissa said...

Even though I lived on a farm and butchered many chickens in my teens, I think I still would have had a hard time with that! You don't want to see a dead chicken head and nasty feet when you're going to cook it! See, we butchered our chickens all on one day, bagged them and froze them, and then had burgers that night, NOT chicken!!! :D

But think how good this is for you in a sense! Everyone should have to know where their food comes from and what they're really eating. We'd all be more connected with the land, the whole circle of life, etc. Really. It's a good thing. You have this whole new element to your person now, a certain rounding out of your character. ;)

Annette said...

Lisa,
I kept laughing out loud... reading your blog to Dan and laughing so that he could hardly understand me... I give you credit. Loved the last picture of Scotty finishing the deal. Thanks for humoring us!

molly said...

Oh my goodness Lisa, that is both funny & sick at the same time!!!!! :) It made me laugh so hard! Eric asked me this morning if I had read this post yet, it was saying out funny it was. He was right!!!!

Miss you guys!

mims said...

Hilarious!! I just found this, Lisa. Oh how I can relate. The first time I pulled head and feet out of a chicken was also the last time!!!

the johnson crew said...

that made me laugh too. i would be the same way. reminds me of when i made my first (and only) turkey. trying to pull the seasoning packet out of the middle... no where near as gross as that chicken... those feet look disgusting. oh my.

blessings,
Janelle