Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Last Day

Well, today is our last full day in the states. Tomorrow we board a plane with more than twice what we came here with, and head back to Bolivia. The time here has been great- very full. We've spent a lot of good time with family, playing games, sharing meals, playing with the baby. It's been neat to see how she has changed even in this little amount of time and cool to share that with the grandparents. She's grown so much and although she has no more of a routine, eats more frequently during the day (I seem to be doing this as well), and generally remains unpredictable from day to day, I feel like God has given me the ability to relax and take each day as it comes and not expect certain things of an infant that she really can't fulfill. It's definitely not worth the stress that I can often conjure from wanting her to fit into a specific mold according to what the baby experts say. I am just thankful she is getting enough rest, enough to eat and is healthy and happy! Plus, I realize we have yet another transition to weather as we return to life in Bolivia and know that will shake things up too.

It's always a little surreal to leave this shiny, sparkly country and return to the impoverished city of El Alto where the airport is located. The initial shock wears off as we wind our way down into the city and eventually stop in the neighborhood where we live, which has its share of nice homes and wealth. And yet, I think we need to be reminded as we return from this place where we have been so abundantly blessed that there are so many more people that have not even the dream of things we take for granted. We were challenged in many ways on this trip, as I expected, with the temptation to want "stuff" just cause it looks cool and we can't buy it back in La Paz. I've struggled with wanting new clothes just so I can look fashionable, even though those fashions will change again next year. It's a mental and spiritual struggle to keep my eyes focused on the eternal things and on how God is using us and will use us in the future- based solely on our faith in Him and not in how nice our things are. We're excited to go back and see our friends, get our baby back into her "normal" surroundings and see what God has prepared for us.

2 comments:

mims said...

Hi ... as I read your blog and glance at the clock I see that you are probably taxiing to the runway as I type, or maybe already airborn. So I breathe yet another prayer for your return to Mallasilla and ask that all that has started with you will be there when you arrive. We'll watch for the email that lets us know how you're doing. We love you and your precious little Natty and will be eager to see you again in the coming year.

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers. I just got the prayer chain email from your Mom & read about your day. As a mother of 5, my heart hears your heart. I have a daughter with soon to be 5 children seeking God's will for them & missions. As a Mom & Grandma, I know Lynn is wishing she was able to be there for you. I will give her a hug for you Sat. at the Christmas luncheon. I will be up for quite awhile yet so know that you & Natty are being covered in prayer.
Susan Smith