Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Baby girls

We've been told by several Bolivian friends lately that here it is considered a blessing to have a girl first. This wasn't backed up by any explanation until yesterday when our lawyer friend told us that a baby girl as the firstborn means you'll have a full house. Although I don't believe in superstition, I would be happy to believe God will bless us with many more children. I'm at that point in the pregnancy when not too much seems to be happening. I'm getting bigger slowly enough that I don't recognize it too much, except for that somewhat disheartening realization that one day not too long ago my khakis fit and now I can't hardly pull them up over my thighs (and since baby doesn't rest in the thighs, that makes me a little bummed). I haven't felt any definitive kicks yet, although there seems to be a bit of squirming that I think is her, or the strange concoction of food I seem to ingest daily... I'm sure all parents have experienced this, but from the moment you get pregnant, you begin to find things to worry about. First it's the fear of miscarriage, than if the baby has a defect, than why it's not kicking yet, etc... I imagine these fears can constantly be replaced by new ones for as long as you have your child with you in life. My goal now is to put these fears before the Lord and learn a new level of trusting in Him and His soverignity. There are many factors about having a baby in Bolivia that could cause me to worry or think that it would be better to go home to have the baby, but I fully believe this is where God has us in this phase of our lives and He will provide what we need to have children here. He has been faithful and good to us and His promises are great.

3 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

Amen, sister! Keep replacing those fears with truth!!!!

Unknown said...

Aw, congrats on the little girl! She'll have plenty of little friends here waiting to play with her!

beth said...

Congratulations on your little girl, Lisa. I chuckled at the Bolivian superstition that having a girl first means you'll have a full house. True for us!

Yes, the fears change as the years roll on, but God stays in control and is always faithful.

Praying for you all.
Love,
Beth