Monday, January 07, 2008

A love story

Scotty helping me with a youth barn dance while we were "getting to know each other" (he actually was not "legally" allowed to date yet according to the SIM dating policy- so we were just good friends :))

I'm not sure where our engagement pics are, so here's one of Micah and Scotty the morning of our wedding. Micah was present at the engagement, so I guess that counts.

Oh, so happy to be married!!

Lovin' life in La Paz.


Sara has tagged me to share the story of how Scotty and I met and fell in love- including obligatory (and fun!) pictures of our engagement, wedding, and a recent one. I'll be tagging Kelly, Nicole, and Julie.


So, it all begins in 2003, my first term as a single missionary in Cochabamba, Bolivia. I was working with youth through an international church there and was invited by my ministry partner, Micah, to a Thanksgiving dinner. He dropped me off and then went out to pick up Greg and the new guy (Scotty) to bring them along as well. I think Scotty's gray hair (I thought he was too old for me) and my strict dating policy worked against me initally thinking twice about this new missionary I ended up sitting next to during dinner. Scotty likes to explain that he thought a cute, blond girl must have relied on her looks all her life and must not have developed other essential character qualities, thus working against him... until dessert. He "held out until dessert" and then decided he wanted to get to know me better- and fast, since he only had 5 months in Cochabamba before moving to La Paz, 8 hours away. Scotty is a fantastic conversationalist- interesting, good listener, funny. I found myself being interested, despite my vow of not dating my first term. Over the next few weeks and months, he found ways to interact with me, beginning with the famous missionary pick-up line, "Do you want to be on my email newsletter list??" and I enlisted him to be a chaperone for various youth events I was planning at the time. Before long, we just knew this was nothing ordinary. We continued to date long distance after he moved to La Paz in April of 2004 until the time we both returned to the states to be married in the summer of 2005. Christmas of 2004 brought a surprise proposal, geniously arranged by both Scotty and Micah. We were married August 27, 2005 in my hometown of Gainesville, Florida. We lived in Charlotte for a year and are now permanently back on the mission field in La Paz, Bolivia- starting a new church in the community we live in and also hoping to start a family soon! God has been amazingly good and gracious to us- from the way he perfectly orchestrated our meeting to calling us together to make our home in Bolivia and providing all we need here and more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a story I don't get tired of hearing/reading about. You had such a positive experience from the very beginning. I'm sure your kids will be extraordinarily blessed to have parents that were so clearly brought together by God.

undergroundcrowds said...

...no ordinary thing at all. God is good!

undergroundcrowds said...

hey, I like checking out your friend's blogs, they seem like neat people. The travel blog is sweet!

Nicole said...

just wanted to let you know that I will post my "love story"...just not sure when. :-) Getting things ready for baby have kind of taken priority lately. :-) (2 more weeks until scheduled c/s!!!)

the johnson crew said...

yea! praise the Lord, what an awesome story!

congratulations.