Friday, December 29, 2006

Splurges


This week has been a week of splurges...not with money, but with our time. Because most of our friends have time off of work this week because of the holidays, we have been doing as much as we can with them, wanting the relationships God has gifted us with to grow deeper. I also had a food splurge today... From time to time, our local grocery store will get in products they usually don't have. A couple months ago, I saw blueberry frosted Poptarts, my very favorite from when I was a kid. I can't tell you when the last time I ate pop tarts was (probably when my mom sent them to me in a care package when I lived in Cochabamba), but I felt like today was a splurge day, so I had one. I have to admit, seeing those little colored sprinkles on top of the frosting actually made me smile. Oh, the little joys of life!

Wednesday was a splurge day with our friends Randy and Dani. We have been wanting to try the quadratracks (4-wheelers) that are for rent in Mallasa, our neighboring community. The four of us convinced the owner that we didn't need a guide and we knew the area quite well enough to feel comfortable on our own. He let us off with his beautiful, red 4-wheelers to zip about the countryside on an amazing, warm afternoon. We started up the cobblestone roads, weaving back and forth on the twisty trail, receiving smiles and waves from the people we passed by in the small towns we rode through. Countless times I thought how blessed we were to live in a country of such majestic beauty and how good God is to sustain us and provide for us in this home away from home.

And today, I am splurging by spending these few hours that Scotty is in Spanish class to check friends' blogs. Internet has become a splurge for us, something we can't take for granted anymore, now that we are living outside of the city and don't have access nearby. It is a joy to hear from people back home and catch up on your lives. We hope you all have a happy new year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like a beautiful afternoon on those 4-wheelers! I am happy that you have had a restful week to enjoy the people around you.
Happy New Year! We love you guys!