Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Where am I again?














It's amazing how much stuff you can still have even after you thought you had whittled down to just what you need to move to a new country for a few years. Scotty's parents assisted us with emptying out our Poindexter home and stuffing full our little red Lexus, building a comfortable cocoon of all our worldy possessions around us. When our possessions starting creeping into my leg space on the floor and threatened to spill out of the side doors when I opened them, I began wondering if we weren't holding on to more than I thought necessary. The good thing is that we'll have a month to continue making decisions on what goes and the rest will stay here in my parent's house. We enjoyed our final evening dining with Scotty's parents and our great friends, Andrew and Laura. We stretched the time, not wanting to say good-bye, by sitting in our empty living room in four chairs while laughing and appreciating the relationship God has gifted to us. I said a tearful goodbye to my inlaws the next morning, sad to know it will be a while before we meet again, and also overwhelmed at the love I have for them and gratitude that we have been formed into a family.


We arrived to our little poolhouse "cottage" on Wednesday evening, realizing that the bed Scotty used there last summer had mysteriously shrunk during the year. The Gibbys, owners of our cozy temporary abode, had spent much time painting and decorating, making the place even cheerier and cuter than previously. We are so happy to have a little room to ourselves for this time we are in town. Scotty and I had a day to organize a bit, and then I headed out of town the next morning to spend a much anticipated long weekend with my best friends in the world. I found myself waking up somewhere in the middle of this thinking, where am I again? It seems we can't stay still for very long. I loved connecting with these girls again, friends who have stuck by me since the awkward, painfully shy middle school years. They've got a lot of dirt on me...or just bad pictures. I was able to share much about our my first year of marriage, reminded again of how much we loved living in Charlotte and loved the people we got to know so well there. I also remembered how good it is to be in deep relationships with people. Now I'm back in Gainesville to stay for a few weeks and we are prayerfully approaching this time with expectant hearts of what God will do here and how He will continue to prepare us for Bolivia.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a blessing to have OLD friends who could tell tales on you (but they love you enough to refrain)!

I am ALWAYS riding with stuff at my feet if David is driving! It drives me crazy!

beth said...

Good thing you don't drive a van or you'd have more stuff to sort through before you go to Bolivia, because you know, the stuff expands to fill the space! Enjoy your time in Florida. We miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Your very kind words of appreciation and affirmation regarding the special relationship God has given us with you were very touching ... and out there for the whole world to read!! May God be given all the glory for what He has done in our lives.

Mims

FFG said...

You'll be back soon! May your hearts and minds be prepared for the trip and the resettling into a different, but still familiar, land. Does this mean Randy and crew get the boot? :)