Monday, September 18, 2006

Sabbath

Yesterday, Scotty had been given the whole sermon time at the Vineyard to share about our ministry in La Paz. He worked for days in advance to prepare a well-structured and applicable presentation with power-point slides. Much to my delight, Scotty is comfortable speaking in front of large crowds, so I joined him briefly at the beginning to intro our time, and then quickly escaped to the balcony to run the power point...possibly one of my spiritual gifts. It went smoothly and we got very encouraging feed-back about the talk and in reference to Cafe Yungas coffee that we will be selling next week. Each Sunday makes us feel even more a part of this church and we are so grateful for their support of us. We spent a fun evening with the associate pastor and his wife on Friday, grilling buffalo burgers (a new one for me) and talking about the possibility of a college team coming in the spring. That is an exciting thought for us!














After church we went to Jacksonville with my parents to visit my aunt, uncle, grandfather, and cousins. I've grown up spending every major holiday with this group and so my aunt got the fun idea about midnight on Saturday to make a Christmas dinner for us since we would not be home for the holidays this year. We came in to see her feverishly running around the kitchen taking care of last minute preparations for the big festivities. We had everything that is on our typical Kincaid/Perlowich menu for Christmas- ham, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, lima beans, green beans, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole (with the cooked marshmallows on top), rolls, and fruit salad (with shredded coconut- my Nana's specialty). And I musn't leave out the pumpkin pie, chocolate silk pie, and key lime tarts. There was even a little Christmas tree set up in the Florida room, complete with our present underneath! All of this my aunt pulled off in one afternoon- we were thrilled and honored. It was a relaxing day with my family and one that will give us warm memories during those times we are missing them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So fun to follow your adventures on your way south! Sorry we missed seeing you all before you left Charlotte!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! That's amazing that she was able to pull it off in one afternoon!

beth said...

That is amazing that your aunt could do all that in an afternoon. What a special gift for you all!

Randy y Dani said...

Scotty and Lisa,

We can't wait for you guys to be here! I've described Scotty to the basketball team, and since the rules only allow one foreigner to be playing at a time, I think they've all decided to let me go.

I like the soul patch. See you soon!