Saturday, August 31, 2013

Good-bye: It never gets easier.

One final walk with my walking buddy.

I had to say good-bye to a dear friend today.  She has been an almost daily part of my life these last 3 years and walked with me so faithfully through the darkest times I have experienced.  Words fail to describe the kind of friend she is, but the tears that have been flowing off and on for weeks and now almost constantly this afternoon show just how amazing she is. There is such a struggle on the mission field to not close your heart to people who you know will one day move on, and yet, this friend has shown me that it's worth every bit of the pain to love for a little while.  But it's so hard.  And I don't want to do it again.  And I don't want to watch my little girl say good-bye to the first real friend she's ever had.  And I can't imagine my life without her in it.  As the elders and their families gathered today to say farewell and to pray, our pastor shared how God has given him the comfort of knowing this separation is so small in comparison to eternity that we will share together around the throne.  Yes, thank you, Lord!  But, I still can't help feeling like it's friends like these that I need NOW when there is still pain and darkness and confusion to work through.  And also so much joy and faith and hope to share together!  Still, I am thankful.  For 3 years.  For amazing memories.  For the things I've learned from her.  For the hope of paths crossing again down the road.  For the peace that God gives beyond the sadness that He is good and He will bring more good for us both.

2 comments:

beth said...

Sad with you that Terri and her family are leaving. It just doesn't get easy - this parting from loved ones. Praying for you just now, Lisa.

mims said...

You've certainly touched a deep place in my heart with this blog, Lisa. You're right, it isn't easy.