Friday, August 23, 2013

Concrete steps

We finally got around to signing up for our 3 week parenting class that is one of the prerequisites for adopting in Bolivia.  Other than getting all your paperwork legalized and a basic background check and house check, I don't think they require anything else of prospective parents.  Except, maybe, patience with the system.  It took us ages to get to the government office where we needed to pay our money and get our name on the list because of the mid-day traffic when people get off work for a several hour lunch break and all the kids are leaving school for the same reason.  When we entered the building we were ushered around to several offices, each person saying, "Oh, you need to go down the hall to such-and-such office" before we found someone who would sign us up.  The people working there were friendly, but the building was so old and creaky and a bit dingy and pretty typical for government office buildings here.  It made me think about our son and where he might be living and what kind of similar or worse conditions the first few months of his life will be like.  I've felt it before, but it was stronger yesterday- I feel like my son is out there in an unknown location with unknown people "caring" for him (and I pray they are caring so much more than can be standard in these orphanages) and I so desperately want to bring him home from all that.  It felt good to be taking one concrete step toward that goal and I'm hoping by the time we finish the classes, we'll also have our paperwork in order to turn in to the judge.  Then, we wait.  I have no idea how long it might take and I want to think it will be quick, but that doesn't seem to be the typical story with adoption.  We're ready for you, little one!

No comments: