Friday, December 16, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

There is something magical about Christmas time.  We feel it strongly this year, mostly because it is falling so close to our return back to the U.S.  All the traditions seem more fun this year, as well, because Natty is at that age where she can finally get into it.  She loves the Christmas tree- decorating it, turning it on, looking at the ornaments, putting presents under it.  We recently had a white elephant gift exchange with my parent's small group and she got such a kick out of helping people pick out a gift to open and squealing with anticipation while they slowly peaked at what was inside.  She wants to help everyone wrap presents and does a surprisingly good job of keeping a secret, since she's probably seen what everyone is receiving from everyone else.  She likes to tease me by saying, "We bought you something at the store today, Nana."  At that point (starting to get nervous she'll give away the surprise), I jump in and remind her that it's a secret and she whines at me, "Mommy- you don't have to keep telling me that.  I just want to say that we bought Nana something.  I'm not going to tell her what!"  As if it's foolish of me to remind my barely three year old daughter not to spill the beans.  It's been a challenge to find kids books in the library that talk about the real meaning of Christmas, always wanting to keep Jesus the center of our celebrations.  It's already hard enough to talk about spiritual things with such a young person.  How much is she understanding?  What if she just doesn't care?  I still haven't figured out exactly what traditions we want to incorporate into our family to take some of the focus off of giving to just our family and put it on being generous with those who have real needs.  It will look totally different in Bolivia than it would here.

Apparently, I'm the one enjoying the Christmas food the most.  I gained a few pounds more than the recommended weight increase for pregnant ladies last month.  I swear just landing in the U.S., at low altitude, bumps up your weight a few pounds.  So, my doctor has told me I can only gain 3 pounds in the next month.  What??  With Christmas cookies and egg nog and Christmas parties and my best girl friends coming into town?  Get real.

I have to share the good news that my last OB check-up when equally as well as the first.  I was a little nervous after a full month of activity, that things in my body might not be holding as strong as they were when I was inactive and the baby was smaller.  However, the doctor found all to be about the same and gave me the go-ahead to continue on as I was.  A small Christmas miracle for us!  He'll start seeing me every 2 weeks just to keep a close eye on things.

I continue to feel incredibly relaxed here.  Blessed to have time.  Time to sleep, to eat, to be with my family.  I think I've laughed a lot more in the last few weeks than in a long time.  I am grateful.

3 comments:

Peg said...

praise God! :) cant wait to meet you once she is here!

mims said...

Ah - rewarded when I came looking to see if you'd blogged since we saw you on Sunday and Monday. Your Natty is clever beyond her years!

Unknown said...

I love this, Lisa. So grateful for all the sweetness the Lord is giving you guys. Merry Christmas!