Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Love and Death

I have been struggling the last few days with understanding- understanding God, His love, His goodness and why Zion had to die. The last few days haven't been those "help me to understand, God" type days, but the kind that are a little more conflicted and blaming. The kind where I don't really want to understand what the truth might be because it's easier just to be mad. I don't like being in this place. I'm part of a forum of woman online who have all lost children and most of them have miscarried or lost infants at least 5 times. They have had to live this nightmare more than once. And we all struggle with the same questions. As I was confronted with such loss, I asked God again, "how do love and death go together??" God immediately quieted my heart as I realized the utter obviousness of the answer to this question. God used the death of His son to display the greatest love for His children. Christ came to a fallen world. His death seemed premature to those around him and it was even accomplished by the hand's of sinful men. I'm sure all who knew and loved Jesus wondered to themselves and each other in those days before He came back to life how God could possibly let that happen. Obviously, Zion's death was not to bring salvation to the world, but I have to believe that just as God displayed His love for us in Christ's death, He has purposed to do that in Zion's as well. God is love and He is incapable of doing something that is not loving. I don't understand the "why" and I might continue to wonder all the days of my life for what reason my son died but my prayer is that God will reveal His love through it and redeem the pain.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Lisa, thank you, yet again, for revealing your deepest thoughts and emotions through this journey. I am so thankful that even as you struggle to make sense of Zion's death, God touches your heart with the truth of His love and compassion for you. It doesn't take away the questions, nor the pain, but it is salvation in so many ways. Our prayers are with you all so very often. We love you dearly.