Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ecology fair

I want to keep people informed of how Scotty and I are doing in this whole grieving process. I find myself, who rarely stops typing to think very hard about what I want to say, feeling a bit void of words or the ability to express where we are right now in this journey. I can confidently say each week is a tiny bit better, but the general malaise that seems to come as you work through losing someone, has stuck. I have felt God's presence in special ways and I have felt the roots of my faith grow a little bit deeper, but I am far from where I hope to be when it is all said and done. I still have some pretty big questions about God and how He chooses to work in our lives and how the acceptance of His control, even in the death of my son, affects my future and the future of our family. I am fighting to believe He is good and that He wants good for us. I am fighting a fatalist few of the future (i.e. why bother praying if God is going to do what He wants anyway?). I can easily spot my faulty theology and the beliefs that are based on fear, but I can't seem to overcome them yet. My hope is that with time, God will make all things right, even the thoughts in my head. There is hope. I believe with all my heart that my life and my family will be forever changed for the better through losing Zion. I believe we will appreciate and glory in our children in a way we never would have before. And, I believe God has made clear to us through this that He's chosen to bring at least one child into our family through adoption. Those are good things that I have hope will happen. So, I lumber on- some days a bit blue and apathetic, other days able to see more clearly the love of God showered on me in so many different ways.
Scotty and I have found a new route up to El Alto, where our airport is located. We gave it a test run the other day and enjoyed the trip up and back through a green, hilly, country community called Achocalla that is resting on the side of the mountain that brings us up almost 2,000ft. from where we live to El Alto. On our way down, we noticed there was an "ecological fair" being held today and so we went with Natty to check it out this morning. We got primo parking at the top of the dirt road that led down to the main plaza where the fair was to be held. We ambled down past grazing sheep and enjoyed a spin around the booths selling fresh produce (picked up some radishes and chard), baked goods, quinoa products (got a nice cake and some dulce de leche with quinoa), cheeses, fresh yogurt, and plants. I think our biggest score was some tasty, low-fat, stevia leaf sweetened, strawberry quinoa yogurt. To our great dismay, we've been informed by those who should know that the stevia sold in Bolivia and "made in Bolivia" is, in fact, not stevia. There are no processing plants here and although the plant is grown in abundance, there is no way to turn it into the little, white, sweet powder that charmed and amazed us. So, we've tossed all our Bolivian "stevia", which has been proven to be nothing more than chemicals (there are no truth in advertising laws in Bolivia). Boo. Anyway, we were happy to learn this yogurt was made with the leaf, and not any sort of refined stevia sugar. We made short work of the small fair and got our fill of free samples and then trudged back up the road to the car. When we got to the small grassy spot where we had parked, we noticed a neat row of cars parked behind us. With about 2 feet in between each car. The nice policeman who had given us permission to park there, when asked why he let a row of cars block us in and what we were to do about it, gave a shrug and said, "Oh...I guess you'll have to wait cause those guys have all gone down to the fair." Realizing that "those guys" could be at the fair for a few minutes or long enough to eat lunch, Scotty set off to ask 200 people who owns the black station wagon blocking us in and if they could come move it. I sat sulking on the side of the road, glaring at the policemen who had no concern for the fact that a whole row of cars were trapped and prayed that Scotty would find the culprits. He came back shortly and admitted that there was no way he would be able to find the owners of the car. However, when he was gone, a couple returning from the fair were loading their goods in the back of the car next to us and we realized they had enough room on the other side to possibly wiggle their way out and give us the room to wiggle out too. We found out they weren't the owners (and didn't know how to drive), but after a bit of begging, they allowed Scotty to take the key and maneuver his way out- a slick, 25-point turn- and then we were free! So, a successful end to a fun trip- but one of those annoying things about living here that I don't think I'll ever get over.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing, even when it feels like you don't know what...or how...to write. You all (wish we had that word in English!) are in our thoughts and prayers.

Michelle said...

Hey you. Great story about the fair, and love the Adidas house. Am very excited about your adoption adventure, especially as my sweet friends Jim and Trisha just completed phase 1 (getting the child) and are on to phase 2 (raising him in an awesome home) of their Russian adoption adventure. They have the most wonderful little boy in their family now, and I have been truly blessed by their journey. It is a very, very special way to build a family. I am praying that doors open for you guys in this. Love you much. Keep writing!!!!!!!!