Saturday, March 05, 2011

Family day


We've had a long few weeks. Errands and guests over for meals and helping out friends and play dates and friend dates and meetings and Bible studies and stuff. I've been busier the last 2 weeks then I have been in a long, long time. It's nice, on the one hand, but it doesn't take too long before I find myself anxious and tired and sad and needing some serious downtime. Today begins a 4-day national holiday and we committed as a family to just spend the day together. We woke up and spent an hour or so playing in bed with Natty, drinking coffee, reading books, being silly. That's my favorite family activity. After breakfast we went off for a good walk and a play on the land. Going to the land (the property we own a block from our house) is Scotty's favorite thing to do and he tries to go over and move dirt or chop logs or stir up compost at least once or twice a week. Sometimes Natty goes and plays in the dirt and comes home much dirtier than she would if Mommy were watching her. Today we all decided to go and I spent some time by Zion's grave thinking about him and missing him a lot. Natty brought a rock over to put on his grave and said she wanted to touch him. I do too. Then we spent a half hour or so digging holes with hand shovels and filling them with dirty water than shoveling out mud and making neat patterns in the dirt. I suppose that's what people do who don't have Wii... Natty loved it and it was nice to all be outside together dreaming in our individual ways of what it might be like to have a house there one day. I can't think about the house and not think about Zion being buried next to it instead of playing inside or running around outside with his siblings. But, it was nice to be with Natty next to where he is buried and feel like he was kinda there with us. I went home and cooked up a nice spaghetti and now it's nap time. Scotty is sitting next me on the couch- he's reading me excerpts from a text book on radiant floor heating and I'm reading snippets to him from a blog on adoption. We're getting more serious about adopting down the road and are starting to look into what our options might be. We're very curious about adopting a Bolivian child and know it might mean more headache or heartache or both, from what we've heard, but are hoping we can talk to a lawyer before too long and see what all it entails. I'm not sure what the rest of the day holds, but it's nice to sit and relax with my family and just be. Zion is still continually on my mind and I miss his presence especially on days like this when it's just us.

4 comments:

Steve said...

I'm glad you had this quiet, restful time with your family. These times of introspection and calm are so needful, but can be filled with so many emotions. We pray for you and with you as you move forward into what God might hold for you. Zion's presence will always be in our hearts and minds, and we are missing him with you. We love you very much.

Mims said...

It is always good to read what you are doing AND thinking ... thanks so much for sharing so well.

Julia said...

What a beautiful, peaceful day. Those times are healing in their own bittersweet way. Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

prayed for you guys last night....