Wednesday, April 15, 2009

IBM Easter camp

So, we were back to the Yungas last weekend for our first camp as a church- for Easter! There was a ton of planning that went into this and a lot of praying that it would be a success. I suppose there are different ways to judge success when thinking of camp. For me, it meant that Natty slept most of the way there and back, that she slept well at camp, that the food cubes I had made to feed her didn't spoil and that she ate well, that she enjoyed the company of 100 different people grabbing, petting, cooing, touching, and holding her off and on throughout the weekend, that the kids program being held in our cabin didn't interrupt the naps, that I had someone to talk to while sitting inside the cabin waiting for her to finish her nap...I'm sure you get the picture. So, for me, it was a great success! The weather was beautiful, I had nice conversations with people who were in and out of the mission's cabin where we were bunked, and Natty was a dream. For other people, especially leadership, we found that there was a lot we would do differently next time. The turnout was amazing and had me continually in awe at how good God was to bring so many people to our church camp. Lots of people invited friends and family, many of whom are not believers. However, there were enough unexpected visitors to warrant smaller portions of food and even one run into town to buy more chickens. We also need to work on delegating more responsibilities, as there were 2 families who did the brunt of the work and really burned themselves out. I'm not taking credit for this, as we were not included in those running themselves into the ground, but for their sake, something needs to change there too. But, overall- the games were tons of fun, people seemed to be getting to know each other better, the messages were great, and I would rate the camp a success. A petty thought came to mind on Easter- outweighed by gratitude for the life I've been given through the death and victory over death by Christ- but it was there nonetheless: Natty celebrated her first Easter without a dress! Or a basket or any of those other things I grew up with. Now, living in Bolivia and potentially participating in camp every Easter in a remote jungly area that is a bit rough, I'm guessing a pretty new dress won't be part of the picture for our daughter. So, that got me thinking about what I would like to see as tradition in our family. I love traditions and I remember looking forward to specific ones when I was little. I want our traditions to first, point the way to Christ, and also be lots of fun. Scotty and I have some thinking to do- what are some of the traditions you guys enjoy at Easter?

2 comments:

andrea said...

about easter traditions, the boys THOROUGHLY LOVED doing their "Resurrection Eggs" this year. And then of course, a big hit was the Easter egg hunt in our new yard. Though take note, plastic easter eggs are nearly impossible to find here in Bolivia.

ML said...

I was going to suggest the same thing. :) Noah missed out on fun Easter traditions this year because he was sick all day. :P I was looking forward to hiding the Resurrection Eggs and then reading the Scripture passages that go with each egg after he finds them all, but we'll do that next year! :) When you come, I'll show you our set and maybe we can make some up for you while you're here?