Friday, June 20, 2008

Knitting


Me, Jimena and Julia in the pharmacy
It's funny how God uses things you would never expect to open up relationships around you. Knitting, I have found, is something that almost every woman here knows how to do- taught at a young age in school. Women love to get together to make sweaters or baby clothes and chat away an afternoon. I thought it would be fun to learn how to make a little sweater or blanket for the baby and so have been asking around to see who can teach me. One of our good friends, Jimena, who owns a pharmacy nearby and is in our Bible study, was more than eager to have me come over to the pharmacy during the day to learn. She invited one of the teachers from the school in the neighborhood, who is also a good friend of hers, to come teach us both. I found out Jimena doesn't need a lot of instruction- she's already done several sweaters and other things. I, on the other hand, had never touched a knitting needle before moving here. So, we began to get together from time to time to knit and talk about life and God and family and society. The teacher hasn't been able to come but once, but now I'm in the habit of going to visit Jimena, who stays in the pharmacy from morning till 9 or 9:30 at night, every day! She always invites me back behind the counter, which makes me feel special, and we talk. Scotty and I recently had a tough conversation with a neighbor who is going through some really hard times and so I invited her to our knitting afternoons. She wasn't able to make it, but recently called to tell me she could teach me if I wanted. I readily agreed, wanting any opportunity to have more time to interact with her. She is a sad woman without the hope that comes with knowing Jesus Christ personally, but today as we sat in my living room, knitting and talking, she continued to open up and even listened attentively as I explained what the Bible teaches about salvation and knowing that your sins are forgiven. We talked about all sorts of things and I feel that we began a friendship in a matter of hours- the activity of knitting always keeping things from getting too awkward. I have a long way to go in my sweater-making potential, but I'm thrilled to be having so many chances to interact more with the women God has put around me.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I love how God has used knitting to work in so many hearts. He has brought you , your women friends, and someone needing Him, intimate time together. That's so like God, to use the simple things to bring love and companionship into the lives of His children. That's cool!
Have fun making those baby things!
Mom K

Spirit of Adoption said...

beautiful! I love that you are taking the opportunities....like knitting....to BE in the lives of the people there! What a great gift to be able to share the Gospel with your neighbor and to be able to fellowship with your sister...thanks for sharing!

And you look too cute!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it neat how you and I have begun to knit at such different times in our lives ... I'm excited that you are learning and that we'll have one more thing in common. Have you discovered "tinking"? I had to do a few rows of that today. Tink is knit spelled backward and its what you must do when a mistake is discovered. May God bring you great blessings through this craft. Love you.