Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday morning

If we don't have anything scheduled for the mornings on Saturday, I love the ritual that has developed in our home. I'm typically up before Scotty but allow myself a little sleep-in time on Saturday mornings. Lately, the weather has been perfect and I awake to the bright sun pouring in our bedroom windows through the thin curtains and the urge hits to get out of bed and get some breakfast. I try not to wake Scotty up and make my way out of the bedroom where the cats instinctively know I'm up (or hear me with their fine-tuned ears) and are waiting anxiously at the bedroom door. Cheddar flops down right in front of my feet, his way of asking to be petted, while Malphurs jogs a few steps ahead, loudly demanding that I pay attention to him. We scuffle into the kitchen where I first satisfy the unwavering demand of my cats for food, and then I put the coffee maker on for myself and Scotty. I open the curtains in the kitchen to a great picture window that usually displays a quiet neighborhood against a rugged mountainous backdrop with bright blue skies and big, puffy clouds. Lately, I've been sifting through some magazines that a friend brought me from home, dreaming about future house designs or chocolate cupcake recipes while I munch on cereal. After the coffee is done brewing, I allow myself, only on weekends, to use my imported, hazelnut powder coffee creamer (sounds delish right?). :) It's not too hard to find, but a bit expensive, and so makes it extra special to enjoy as a treat on the weekends. I am content at my little wooden table in the kitchen, alone with my magazine, my thoughts, my coffee, and a gorgeous world right outside my window. Inevitably, I am reminded of God's goodness to us, His gifts in small pleasures, and the hope that we have to treasure Him forever.

4 comments:

Steve said...

I can picture you enjoying your special mornings! We can't wait to join you in your warm, sunny kitchen! Hope your weekend is wonderful. We love you and Scotty very much. Mom and Dad K

Ra said...

Hey Lisa, As always we love reading about your experiences! You transport us to Bolivia with the great descriptiveness. Osvaldo sends saludos and asks you to eat some picante de pollo on his behalf. His wife doesn't make it for him since she has no ahi or athletic chicken. Apparently US chickens are too plump and unexercised. :) It's so great how hazlenut creamer, for us, or athletic chicken, for Osvaldo can bring such pleasure. Like you said, it's those small pleasures God brings. Timara

Annette Paré Photography said...

oh, what a beautiful morning.....

Nicole said...

What a beautiful picture...thanks for opening your door this Saturday morning!!

Miss you guys!