Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cookbook search

OK all you ladies (and gentlemen) out there who love to cook- I'm looking for a cookbook to put on my Christmas list this year, but was a little overwhelmed with the 63,000+ options Amazon.com brought up when I searched "cookbooks". I'm looking for your recommendations, keeping in mind a couple things: one, most canned foods or pre-packaged/boxed items are unavailable in the grocery store here; two, I really like breakfast foods; three, I do quite a bit of hosting, so recipes that are larger or can be doubled easily are helpful; four, as much as I love international food (Indian, Thai, etc...), I also can't find most ethnic spices that these recipes call for; five, something that has a good mix of traditional meals (aka- fattening, feel-good foods) and healthy options would be a plus (or just healthy would be cool too). Am I being too picky?

So, send me your suggestions or just buy me your favorite book and send it to me for Christmas! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any of the Best Recipe Cookbooks by cooks illustrated are good. Like "The New Best recipe" and cover and bake.

Unknown said...

I think the More-with-Less cookbook would fit all those criteria.

I love Nigella Lawson, also, but she always has obscure things on her ingredient lists.

undergroundcrowds said...

I have a "Food for Fifty" book that was recommended at a restaurant occupations course I took, because I was interested in starting a camp.
So, it's not your gourmet cookbook, but it's great for ministry personnel, just in case you find yourself planning meals for a retreat or something.
It's definitely a ministry cookbook, but I think it's easy to break down. Also, Ironwood Christian Camp in CA has a cookbook, that is great for that sort of thing, with GREAT recipes, but I don't know how you would get a hold of one of those.

Spirit of Adoption said...

I'm with Kelly - I think More with Less would fit your categories!! I also love cooking light - that's my christmas gift each year from my mom! But it has lots of obscure ingredients in it...however, I usually substitute those for something different or whatever I have because those obscure ingredients are usually expensive!!!

Anne G said...

Hey Lisa,
Julie is on the right track. Cooks Illustrated is the way to go. Cover and Bake or their Family Cookbook (red binder) are good options. I have the Family one is use it ALL THE TIME. But then again I'm a Cook's groupie. Hoping to meet Christopher Kimbell (the founder) for the second...yes second time this week. Does that qualify as stalking. :) Cindy Waltho is doing some food styling for him on Kare 11 this week. Okay...don't get me started...this is too fun. Had a patio party this past weekend...wish you and Scotty were around to celebrate fall!!

beth said...

The Wycliffe International Cookbook is written by missionaries and its useful in places where you can't get the normal American staple items. And then, you know me, I love anything by Moosewood.