Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Roger's Birthday

There is a couple that lives at the end of the street where the Friday night Mallasilla Bible study is held. The wife, Cecilla, is Bolivian and her husband, Roger, is an American. Ceci comes frequently to the Bible study and although she is very open to what is discussed there, she has remained a professing Catholic and has yet convinced her husband to come with her. We ran into Ceci a week ago and she told us she was having a family birthday party for Roger and she wanted us and the Hursts to come. Until talking to Faith, I didn't realize that this party was just for close family, but how great an honor it was that we were included in that tight circle. We put on our Sunday best, actually better than that, baked some yummy (almost sinful) chocolate peanut butter bars for a little present, and drove over to their house last night around 8. I have to admit that when I walked in and saw her large, ornately decorated home and nicely dressed Bolivian family members sitting around sipping coke and whiskey, I felt a little out of place. The family continued to trickle in over the course of a couple hours and we had the chance to start getting to know Roger and many of Ceci's close relatives and friends. At one point, I was seated next to one of Ceci's brothers and having heard that we were evangelical missionaries he asked me, "So, what is the difference between what you guys believe and what us Catholics believe?" Whoa!! I stared blankly at him for a few seconds, trying to think how in the world I was going to answer this question intelligently, in Spanish, without 1)offending him; 2)making him feel like it was "us" against "them"; and 3)bumbling over myself as I did my best to share the gospel. Thankfully, God was not surprised by this question and was leading me through as we chatted. He was so open and frank with the little he believed about religion, not really being a practicing anything, just considering himself Catholic because that is the family background he came from. I was continually amazed at the leading questions he asked, giving me the opportunity to share the gospel clearly, explain how the Bible definitively states we are not saved by works but what Christ did for us on the cross, talk about how Mary was a mortal just like us who did sin (the Catholic church believes otherwise), that the Bible is the final authority on all spiritual matters, and the direct route we have to approach God through Jesus Christ. Wow! I invited this new friend to come to our church when we open last month and before leaving, he assured me he would be there. After we left, I found out that Scotty also had the chance to naturally share the gospel with the other brother he was talking to! And to think, I almost skipped out on the party because I didn't want to miss my ESI class... We continue to pray that God will give us more opportunities to spend time with Ceci and Roger. There is a natural connection to Roger because we are Americans, but I think a long way to go before he would be willing to attend anything church-like. What a privilege to share my hope in Christ!

4 comments:

beth said...

Lisa,
Your post brings this verse to mind... "Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit." Mark 13:11

I know you weren't facing arrest or trial, but I'm sure you must have felt a bit of fear and trepidation. Praise God for the way he gave you the words, in Spanish!!, that you needed and the bold, winsomness to speak of Him in such a natural, loving way. We'll pray for these new friends of yours.
Love,
Beth

Anonymous said...

When I read an account such as you write here my heart swells with excitment at seeing the Holy Spirit at work, using you and Scotty as the earthly vessels to accomplish His will. God bless you both as you continue to be open to His leading at all times.

the johnson crew said...

praise Jesus! what a blessing to share the gospel with them! it seems like God often works when we aren't expecting it. sounds like you guys are doing so well there.
janelle

undergroundcrowds said...

did that guy go to church with you?
a great opportunity.