Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Good things

There are times throughout the weeks that I'll think about home and in my mind, or sometimes to Scotty, I'll say, "If I could go home for just one day..." or "If I could go anywhere back home right now it would be... (Target, Al Mikes, Poindexter Dr., DGCC, my parents house, etc...)". There will always be things I miss about home (did I mention Target?) but I was thinking this morning about all the things I would miss if I wasn't in Bolivia:

worshipping the Lord in Spanish, international friends, perfect blue skies, rugged mountains springing up right outside my windows, cheap restaurants, adventure travelling, mountainous jungle 3 hours from home, our apartment, friendly people who say "hi" when you walk by, no speed limit, walking all over town, being different...

My heart will always be a part of two places and I'm learning to be content where I am and find the good here. I will enjoy the good when we are on home assignment, and often look forward to seeing all of you again, but there is much joy in living where God has us right now.

2 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

Sounds like the heart of a true missionary!! I remember a speaker in Perspectives (I took at a BBC) said he felt most "at home" at the airport...b/c that was in between his worlds....the US home was never fully home again (b/c of the obvious - his heart was with the people God called him to!)....and his ministry home was never fully home (b/c of the obvious things...2nd language, different culture, different food, ect....those things never become natural, but they definitely become a part of your daily life and there is much joy in them!!!). So, the airport always felt most like home to him. I think of that often....I dont know why, but it really speaks of a missionary's life to me!

So thankful the Lord has given you these amazing things to be THANKFUL for!!!!! : )

undergroundcrowds said...

I do that too, especially now, but I'm with you. There are many things, like being able to drive to Italy or German pretzels, that I would miss. However, Target is pretty big on my list and so is Taco Bell. :)

It's funny how God teaches us things, like contentment.