Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hostess with the mostest

Ok, so maybe I don't have the "mostest" (what kind of word is that anyway?)...but I am really enjoying playing hostess these days. Last week, our friends James and Julie moved in for 5 or 6 days while their parents took over their small apartment in town. I enjoyed waking up early and chatting with Julie before both of us took off to our respective activities of the day. They came home late after a full day of showing the in-laws around town, for Julie, and finishing the last week of teaching high school math and science, for James. We would drink tea on the couches and chat for a few minutes before the 4 of us crashed. The day we left for Cochabamba, Whitney came to stay. She's finishing out her last week with us, having just completed her teaching work as well, and excited to return back to States to plan her wedding which will be in December. J & J moved out on Sunday and so we're down to just the 3 of us- it's like being married and having a great, female roomate at the same time! Whit and I also enjoy hanging out in the mornings and over dinner- she's the type of person who will join in on the dish cleaning and other household chores without being asked. Usually we tell her not to, but she insists. I've prepared a yummy meal of taco casserole for dinner and invited over a handful of our friends to wish Whitney safe travels back home. We'll be driving her up to the airport at about 3:45am. Dang, that's early...




It's a joy to have people in our house. When we were first married, I had to work myself into having people over- it was something I always wanted to be a high value in our family, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it and make it fun. Little by little, my cooking skills increased and I continue to perfect the art of relaxing and not expecting everything to be perfect. Sometimes my herbed potatoes are a little too crunchy or my chicken casserole is a bit bland- but I know that everyone participating is being blessed by the time spent together in a home. Making the connections, laughing with people, doing dishes together afterward- it's all part of the call God has on us to show hospitality to each other. Young, old, single, married- I have been challenged to continually open my home and let people live life with us, even if it's messy. God is blessing us and others in that process, and I hope to continue growing in that way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go, Lisa! I'm so encouraged by your consistent hospitality!! It is a blessing to be with the Lord's people!