Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Cruel and Unusual


Our kittens have reached that wonderful age where they begin to become a bit more aggresive and have an undeniable urge to destroy the couches we bought a few months ago with their razor sharp claws. We've tried smacking them, saying "no!", spraying them with water, etc., but to no avail. So, we finally contacted a vet to get them neutered and declawed (just in the front). The first vet I talked to who sells us our kitty food said, "you know, declawing your cat is really a painful process. I recommend that you just buy clippers and clip their nails. It's inhumane, really". OK, I guess she's not going to do it. So we call another vet close to where we used to live who is happy to preform both procedures- without the guilt trip. Meanwhile, everyone who asks me where I got those big, red, ugly scratches on my hand, is appauled and horrified when I explain that they're from my cats, but "don't worry, we're getting their nails taken out this week.". What??!! (Scruntching up face and opening eyes very wide) You can't do that! One woman said, "I didn't know they do that here!" Apprently, we aren't fit to be cat parents. But, I have to continue to remind myself that every cat we ever owned growing up had its front claws removed and afterward, lived a very full, happy life.
Scotty and I will lead fuller, happier lives when the shreds on our couches don't get worse, and the shredding of my hands and arms goes away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have just one encouraging word for you, "Luckie." He certainly lives a full and lively life, even after 12 or so years of de-clawing.

My prayers are with you both.

Love,

Joan

Unknown said...

I think I'd do the same thing. I don't think you're cruel and unusual ;-)

We had plenty of cats who lived happy lives with no front claws!

Anonymous said...

Scotty also grew up with housecats that were both declawed and neutered. I do remember that male friends in Venezuela and Ecuador were horrified at the idea of neutering male cats ... they seemed to take it personally. I say, da sooner da bedder!!ndkwub

Anonymous said...

ooops ... I see the magic code got typed at the end of the message ... no wonder blogspot asked for it again

Annette said...

fun post, you guys. be nice to those cats :). we only ever had outdoor cats & dogs... and people wondered what happened to them and how long they lived, and i would always answer, "until they got hit by a train or died of lead poisoning...."!

Anonymous said...

I think I read somewhere in a cat owner manual that claws are totally optional. We too have had many cats without claws. I am surprised at the general social response too--isn't uña del gato as popular a dietary supplement there as here? I mean, where do people think that stuff comes from? ;)