Wednesday, February 06, 2013

First day.




So, I imagine you all will be wondering how the first day of school went.  It was great!  We all woke up early (too early) and excited and didn't spend as much time as we usually do lounging in bed and getting a strong cup of coffee into our systems before moving on.  I'm a little sad to be leaving behind that relaxing tradition...I'm not much for rushing around first thing in the morning.  However, we had plenty of time to get ready and eat without pushing Natty too hard and then I ended up driving her to school while Scotty stayed with Jubilee.  When we got there, I saw no cars and no people!  I suppose I should have double-checked the starting time, I thought.  When I rang the doorbell, a work kid who was painting the wall opened the door...bad sign!  But, a teacher shortly came down and I asked if Natty was supposed to come at 9, trying to imagine what we would do for half an hour before any stores open if she was supposed to arrive later.  She assured me it was fine and we went upstairs to her little classroom where a handful of kids were sitting at a table.  I left her to get acquainted and chatted a bit with the director.  She asked me to stay because they were going to have a prayer time when all the kids showed up to ask God's blessing on the school year, the kids and our families.  It was sweet to see them all standing together with the hands out, repeating the prayer of the director.  Then they sang some songs and recited some verses.  For the most part, Natty was doing her best to imitate the Spanish and looking around with curiosity, but not fear.  When they lined up to go back into their classroom, I told her good-bye and assured her we would be back when school was done.  Scotty picked her up and I was brimming with excitement and standing at the top of the stairs- dying to know what she thought of her first day.  She said she had fun, couldn't remember exactly what they did and seemed to generally enjoy herself.  Even though it's only been 3 days, every day she comes home smiling and dancing and in a great and usually silly mood.  School seems to do her good and I am so happy/relieved!  I am incredibly thankful that our friend introduced us to the school and even though it's a little too quiet in the house without her, the morning goes by quickly and I am more excited to spend focused time with her in the afternoon.  With party planning and my parents coming in about 2 weeks, I don't feel like I'll have a good idea of what my mornings might look like when things settle again, but I am already appreciating that time.  We made it...

2 comments:

Steve said...

So glad things went well with both of you! When we trust new things to God, He is so faithful to bring His unique blessings to them! We can't wait to be a part of all that is He is doing in your lives. We love you lots!

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm so thankful the transition has been smooth. Can't wait to see all that God has in store for this next stage of life. Great joys ahead.

On another note. I was thinking yesterday that it's been a year since Edgar and Scotty were here for the Pastor's Conference. Time flies! That was such a great visit with them both.

Hugs to your family! Anne